Author   Comment  
javierjaner

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello! 
I want to share a really easy train track and car ramp that i´ve made in one hour using only a bandsaw, a sander and a bench drill.I took me almost two hours. I made it copying a track from Tren City (http://www.trencity.com.ar/) and then added the barriers and ramp. 

One thing i do i consider intresting is that the ramps are painted with blackboard paint so children can draw the lines or whatever they want. 
I made it for my nephew. I hope you like it and if you have any suggestion please fell free i love to improve my work.  DSC_0914.jpg  DSC_0917.jpg  DSC_0918.jpg

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Looking good. It just goes to the point that you don't need a lot of fancy tools to make toy's for the kiddo's

A good imagination goes a long way.

Have you made car's or trucks to drive over the tracks? if so feel free to share we all  like pictures LOL

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Ed!

No didnt made any trucks for the tracks. My nephew already has a lot of trains and cars to use in it. But perhaps i can do something. The problem here are the wheels. If i do some stuff i´ll upload them here.
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #4 
That is one thing when making toys you don't have to have a lot of tools well done n the crossing

Reply with quote  #5 
Javierjaner
That's a great add-on to your track.
Thanks for posting.

FYI
There are router bits available for making the tracks.
They cost around $98 US for a set of 4 router bits.
Train Track Router Bits.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice rail road crossing.

Udie,

I looked at making these tracks once but discovered that they are cheaper to buy them. I can buy about 150 assorted track sections for the cost of the bit set. A 52 piece set on ebay today $34.49 shipping included.

Of course if you just want to make them because you can....

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
BadBob
Back in the old days (pre-internet) these tracks sets were very popular and very expensive

and not available locally as they are today. The stores were just not around.

So the only option for a home woodworker was make your own.

Today, you are absolutely correct - buying on-line is a lot cheaper and you get more for your money.

Our family does a lot of shopping on-line, great prices, fast delivery.

javierjaner

Reply with quote  #8 
hello! thanks for your responses. 

I´ll resume the situation here that made it impossible to buy things. I live in Argentina and we have a complicated situation here. 

First: Importation from other countries is forbidden (no legaly but in practical terms the goverment ask you so many things that is really hard to buy even lights). Now we changed the goverment and perhaps things´ll start to change.

Second: taxes are really high. If i buy a 95 dolars sets i have to add the shipping and then when they arrive to the country i have to add the cost of the shipping plus the cost of the product and then divide by two and pay that for taxes. so for exaple a 95 dolar sets plus 25 dolar shipping i have to add 60 dolar taxes. So the final cost is 180 dolars. 

Third: Our currency (the peso) devaluated the last ten days a 44% (before it was 1dolar=9pesos plus 30% of tax retention. yes if you purchase aboard they charge you with 30% of recharge) And now the change is 1dolar 13,5 pesos) and an average salary is 5000 pesos (370 dolars per month aproximatley) So is hard for us to buy quality tools here. 

But anyway the price of 150 tracks is really interesting if customs let them pass. Here for exaplme the barrier that i´ve made costs 30 dollars and a basic sets of tracks with a train cost 61 dollars [smile] 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.