As an alternative to staining wood you may want to experiment with baking wood in an oven.
Here's some tips for baking wood:
THIS HOME KITCHEN WOOD-TINTING FORMULA STERILIZES THE WOOD AND IT’S NON-TOXIC!
Obtain any color tint desired on any wood without staining! It’s all done in your kitchen oven:
- Step1: Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Step 2: Place the parts to be tinted on a cookie sheet and place it in the oven. The dark tone requires two hours in the oven. The light tone requires 1 hour in the oven. Four darker tones increase the oven time. For lighter tones decrease the oven time.
- Step 3: Remove tinted parts from oven and let cool until warm to the touch.
- Step 4: Apply Cynthia’s Paste Wax Finish. The home-made formula is on our website at: http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html
We were using our kitchen oven, but now are using a toaster oven outside on the back deck since there is the scent of smoked wood when you bake the wood. Sometimes it gets a little strong smelling, but it does go away when you're done.
It's best to experiment with wood scraps first since there are a few things that could affect the quality of the tinting:
1. Wood pre-treated with oil or paste wax finishes can cause blotching.
2. Wood that has not been cured properly.
3. Wood that does not have a clean surface.
4. Wood that has a high pitch content.
5. Wood that has been outside in the weather.