Author   Comment  
Mike Holden

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been making toys a few years (30+) and I have never attempted toasting wood. I always bought the walnut cherry maple etc to gain the look I was going for. So I am going to give this a shot. I went out bought a toaster oven off my local yard sale site. Paid 40 bucks used. I tried it out works fine. Before I attempt "toasting wood" I hear that it needs to be done outside in a well ventilated area do to odors. Do I need to use a aluminum cookie sheet or metal does it matter? anything else alone with it? Is this a trail and error type thing with timing of lightness and darkness of the wood I want to achieve? Anything else I need to know before attempting? I see that the pieces needs to a final sanding also. Any knowledge that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike

Reply with quote  #2 
A product I have done in the passed ... no toasting 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 57 Chevy.jpg, Views: 43, Size: 23.81 KB 

mlusk123

Reply with quote  #3 
Well, I would use a little bit of peanut butter and Jelly and it should influence your taste buds! LOL! 

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
I toast the wood before I saw it to shape because of shrinking. Toasting tints the wood all the way through and this is a great advantage. The longer the toasting time the darker the wood. Any pan will do but I prop the pieces on little pyramid scraps so air can get underneath for even toasting.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
And I love the '57 Chevy and would enjoy seeing more of your artistry!
Trav

Reply with quote  #6 
Good God, mike. I just checked out your website. Those custom projects are sick man. I guess those 30+ years count for a lot, eh? Just followed awcwoods on Facebook 👍
Mike Holden

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks to all !!! Will let you know how it goes from here .. will attempt in the next week or so... Thanks for the kinds words and the advice. 

Reply with quote  #8 
I toasted some baltic birch plywood a few months ago. The color turned out beautiful. Now I cannot remember what oven temperature I used. Can anyone add some guidance about oven temperature works best.

A couple of notes. 1) The process really stinks up the house. It took two days for it to clear. Now I will always do it outside on my gas grill.
2) Be careful with plywood. The heating process tends to allow the plywood to delaminate. 
cynthia lewman

Reply with quote  #9 

Hi neighbor Larry,

Below is the process we recommend for baking wood:

THIS HOME KITCHEN WOOD-TINTING FORMULA STERILIZES THE WOOD AND IT’S NON-TOXIC!

Obtain any color tint desired on any wood without staining! It’s all done in your kitchen oven:

• Step1: Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
  • Step 2: Place the parts to be tinted on a cookie sheet and place it in the oven. The dark tone requires two hours in the oven. The light tone requires 1 hour in the oven. Four darker tones increase the oven time. For lighter tones decrease the oven time.
  • Step 3: Remove tinted parts from oven and let cool until warm to the touch.
  • Step 4: Apply either a clear polyurethane varnish or clear gloss. We usually finish with 3-4 coats of Krylon Triple Thick Clear to get the glossy surface. We like to use Krylon Triple Thick Clear in a spray can and we usually apply 3-4 coats sanding lightly with about 400 grit sandpaper between coats.

We like to use a toaster oven out in the garage since there is the scent of smoked wood when you bake the wood. Sometimes it gets a little strong smelling, but it does go away when you're done.

There are a few things that can be effect the quality of the tinting wood in an oven:

1. Wood pre-treated with oil or paste wax finishes can cause blotching.

2. Wood that has not been cured properly.

3. Wood that does not have a clean surface.

4. Wood that has a high pitch content.

5. Wood that has been outside in the weather.

If you do a search in our Toymakers Forum you'll find some interesting posts about baking wood. Here's a couple:

http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/cooking-wood-6606036?highlight=cook

http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/tinting-wheels-darker-by-baking-them-in-a-toaster-oven-7481041?highlight=bake

C
ynthia

Dadzcoin

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you for this post!  Although I have been painting the majority of the wooden toys I make with Kid Safe Acrylics, I have seen many toys in the stores that have a look I would consider to be 'toasted' and wondering how to accomplish this.  I'll try it!  -Don

Reply with quote  #11 
This should get you started. Click this link.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.