Author   Comment  
Wunderphil

Reply with quote  #1 
I have seen a video on YouTube using a belt sander mounted on its side in a custom made wooden jig to work in the same way as a disc sander.

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this. I think it should work although I know it will not be as rugged as the real machine.

Phil
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Wunderphil: As you save to buy, you modify what you have. We have all done that with numerous shop tools. There are lots of downloadable free plans on the net or at least, YouTube videos as you have mentioned and photos to look at on how to convert your belt sander to a stationary sanding station. Mounted either horizontally or vertically. Most do have one thing in common, some sort of stopping block to prevent your work piece from being a projectile headed for the window. A very common conversion is purchasing a sanding disk for the table saw. These discs have the same 5/8" arbor and support peal-n-stick replacement sanding pads of various grits.. I have attached a photo.
TS Sander.jpg

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Wunderphil: You can buy a quality 10" table saw balanced steel sanding disk with a 5/8" arbor on amazon.com for $52 to $35. The self-adhesive sandpaper disks are also available on the same site. It's a real handy thing to pick up a used 10" table saw off of craigslist.com and dedicate it to disk sanding. I've shaped thousands of toys this way in a very efficient manner.

I have also used the belt sander clamped to the worktop with a bar clamp with great success. Many belt sanders are made for commercial use and will outlast the low cost table top units by many years. I have a cheap $20 unit that is over 10 years old and has had many hours of use. I also have a powerful commercial unit that was around $200. It works like a charm on thick materials.
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Wunderphil and John
Years ago sanding stations were not as plentiful as they are today and with that the cost of stations for home use have also dropped. The table saw sanding disc was a great tool for sanding and using your table saw fence you could get excellent results using it as quick makeshift jointer. These discs were readily available at that time. Now they are a little more difficult to find only because of the low cost sanding stations and jointers that are available now. I do not use my table saw sanding disc now as much as I did years ago only because it's function has been replaced with economy priced stations and jointers.
But ... I also found a supplier ... being Woodcraft that still sells these discs and replacement sanding pads.
Here are a couple photos of what Woodcraft offers.
10 inch sanding disc.jpg  10 inch sanding pad.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.