Author   Comment  
Ceefa

Reply with quote  #1 
The stable is another toy I made for sale at Christmas time. it measures 75 x 36 cms and is built to take the Schleich Brand of horses. The base is mdf covered with artificial outdoor carpeting. The stables are built from 7mm plywood and the fences are pine. This interactive toy gives a lot of pleasure to young children.
stables 1.jpg  stables inside.jpg  stables closeup.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is a fabulous play set and so well designed. What is the overall size, materials and finish? This is quite a masterpiece. I was really excited to see the photos this morning. It has given me a lot of ideas for new plan sets!
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nicely done thanks for sharing.

This would look really neat if the wood fence had a distressed finish on it to make the fence look weathered.

The kids of course wont care what color it is LOL they will just have a wonderful time.
[thumb]

Reply with quote  #4 

This would look really neat if the wood fence had a distressed finish on it to make the fence look weathered.

Yes Ed, that was what I thought and I tried it on a sheep yard that I made and it looked terrible and most uninviting. When I changed to the present oiled finish there was much more interest. Ya just can't tell eh?
Sarge

Reply with quote  #5 
That's a great design , especially with the carpet covering. The tack room is another great touch you dont often see in a toy. I could easily see that devloping into an entire play set, farmhouse, pig barn, chicken coop, etc. My kids love things like that. I always have to shoo them away from the Schleich toys at Tractor Supply so we can get our shopping done. I think that company makes every critter known to man.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
This is a fabulous play set and so well designed. What is the overall size, materials and finish? This is quite a masterpiece. I was really excited to see the photos this morning. It has given me a lot of ideas for new plan sets!

Hi John, The base measures 75 x 36 cm and is made from 15mm MDF covered with artificial outdoor carpet. The fece posts are 60 mms high and the rails are made from 7mm x 12mm strips of pine.

The stables themselves are made from 7mm ply and measure approx 390 mm long, 135mm deep  and are 135mm in the front sloping to 130mm at the back. 
They are made to accommodate the Schleich brand of horses. I hope this helps
john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the info. I will be building one of these soon.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #8 
This is great - looks like it will provide lots of imaginative play time.  Love it!!!
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #9 
Fantastic. I might have to try a couple of these. I like the simplicity of design and the way you've added little details like the chain.

This one I made last year (also sized for Schleich). This was built at customer request and I think I made it more complicated than it need to be. I think I'll try it your way next time [smile]

edit.jpg

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi ceefa,

Great looking stables you have made. Very nice.

Graham.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #11 
Rosiejane-I am impressed with this design. It is very beautifully done.
Ceefa

Reply with quote  #12 
That's a great stable Rosiejane and it shows beautiful workmanship. You should be really proud of it and I'm sure your customer would be too. I don't think it looks more complicated, it gives the child great scope for imagination.
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #13 
Hey toymakers ! these stable and yards are great !  My question is what age group of kids would play with it without tearing it up  Not sure how you would price something like that.  Looks like lot of work to be sold.  Do you provide any animals.  Would be interested in follow-up/  Thanks
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #14 
Papa Jack:
The one I was made was for a 7 year old boy.
The feedback I received was that he loved playing with it and they ordered another fence for Christmas. I haven't received any photos of it in action yet. As this was the first one I've attempted and my methods were somewhat untried (by me) I charged AUD$120. I baulked a bit at charging so much, but they were more than happy to pay it since it was comparable price to store bought ones (somewhat more rustic perhaps but hopefully more sturdy).
The fence wasn't requested, but I included it as a bonus.
If I do another one the same I think I would charge a bit more and include a horse with it. When I was asked to make it, I made sure to check what their budget was so I could simplify or add more detail accordingly.

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks so much for the info.  Took me a moment to understand AUD and CM's but I rinally got it.  Great size and very fairly priced I think.  Just an additional note.  You have encouraged me to build one also.  I found a barnyard of horses (about 4-5 in tall) in store on sale at Christmas.  It was a toy set from Melissa and Doug Toys.  I think it has 12 ponies so I can afford to put one or two in each stable without too much of a price increase.  Keep the dust low ! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.