Author   Comment  
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #1 
Here's one of my toy trains that I make. This one is for a neighbors grandson that is train crazy! The train is 48" long and 4" wide. It is made from scrap hardwood that I get from the lumber yard for free or pennies on the dollar depending on the species.custom train2.jpg custom train3.jpg custom train4.jpg
Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice indeed, that train is made for playing. I like the car connection method and good job on the your pictures as it's not easy taking a pic of a long item such as this.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice.  This looks like is it tons of fun.  You are fortunate to live close to a lumberyard that will make deals with you.  Many of our parts are small enough to use other's scraps.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
I like this a lot. Very nicely done and looks very sturdy. [thumb]
I happen to like the natural finish but my grandson would want me to paint every one of the train cars starting with green LOL

thanks for sharing.

Reply with quote  #5 
Brian, well done! I really like the design, and how the pieces relate to each other!
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #6 
Bryon

Really nice job on the finish.  Did you use different woods, stain them, or bake them.
Whatever you did your finish looks great.

Thanks for sharing.

kenbod

Reply with quote  #7 
Great Design Brian. Love the finish. Have tried a couple of trains in softwood will now try in hardwoods, finding supplies at reasonable prices is a major problem. Now looking at boot fairs for old furniture that can be dismantled .

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey Ken,
 To answer your wood question - I used maple for the base of each car and the roofs, cherry for the caboose, passenger, and engine car. I also used mahogany and walnut for accent pieces. The sports car is also made of walnut. I hope that helps.
Also, I haven't tried baking any wood yet but may try it on some pine chess pieces I plan to make.
        Brian
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.