Author   Comment  
Trav

Reply with quote  #1 
A couple trains made from oak, maple and elm. Finished with Cynthia’s beeswax finish. Deviated from the plan on a few minor details. Thanks for looking.

Vintage 1955 Wood Toy Train

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 28FEBE23-6579-486C-B234-02526B2D032D.jpeg, Views: 107, Size: 958.07 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 5A7F0450-1A08-4952-940E-B7A507508ABC.jpeg, Views: 98, Size: 713.87 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: BA303599-E9DA-4C38-B3EE-AA576EF0CC7B.jpeg, Views: 86, Size: 939.69 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 6228DC92-503C-44A1-9D08-30905002C673.jpeg, Views: 76, Size: 1012.39 KB 

matthewsaad

Reply with quote  #2 
Nicely done.  The kids will love it.

TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
Great looking trains.

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice work Trav.
                       Love the use of woods to create a contrast in color. Your shop looks interesting as well seems to be plenty of homemade Jigs.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Iggy. I try to make what I can for patterns and jigs. I’m learning.
That’s my table router on the left hand side of the pics with the fence flipped over. I made it and it works well enough 😜

I would really like to have a source of cherry and walnut to get some even nicer contrast with wood colour but they’re not local. There’s a lumber yard a couple hours away that imports all sorts of stuff but, obviously, the cost is higher. I might splurge next spring though.
Iggy

Reply with quote  #6 
Trav.
        You have to be cheeky, I went to a local Timber yard and noticed they had 3 packs of American Cherry flooring that had been lying around for ages. I asked about it and was told they were returned from a large order as unwanted. I offered him £75 for the 3 and he took it. (That's about 1/2 price over here.) by the time I had taken off the paint and Planed out the shallow grooves on the back, I was left with 5/8" clear solid Cherry very useful for band-saw work. Another shop that fits Kitchens, gives me the off-cuts and cutouts from wooden worktops. mostly in Oak a bit thick for the scroll-saw but can be rendered down. All because Scroll work uses only small amounts of timber, it is possible to get scraps and off-cuts that would normally go in the bin. Ask and save your hard earned. Do the planet a favor and recycle. Go to the local dump for an hour and have a look at the amount and quality of timber that is thrown away, most of it drier than the Sahara.           

Reply with quote  #7 
Wow great looking trains....really like them....I keep saying I'm going to make trains and I keep getting sidetracked lol....well done.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.