Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
Our grandchildren, Emma, 2 and Aaron, 7, keep me quite busy, one way or another!
The garage was a joint effort, with Aaron doing as much of the work as he could manage, from some design input to cutting, glueing and painting, with some help with the trickier cuts and painting around the edges etc.
I had made a similar garage for Aaron's father, Philip, in about 1988, which is the one in the picture with Phil, somewhere around 4 years old or so. Aaron is still playing with many of the cars in that picture
The cot is for Emma's dolls and was quite a challenge for me, as it has 48 mortice and tenon joints. I cut all the parts from two ash planks, bought as offcuts from a timber merchants. Cut to length on the table saw, then ripped on the bandsaw. I also cut all the tenons using the bandsaw, with a variety of stops clamped to the bandsaw table.
I made a very simple router table, to which I fitted my ancient Black & Decker Woodworker router (never had much use for it before!) and cut the mortices with a 5mm straight bit. The joints are not perfect, but it worked pretty well for a first attempt.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2278.jpg, Views: 22, Size: 455.44 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2279.jpg, Views: 27, Size: 465.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2280.jpg, Views: 29, Size: 456.22 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2282.jpg, Views: 34, Size: 490.68 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_2283.jpg, Views: 35, Size: 550.03 KB 

Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
This is neat. I also did some doll furniture for my daughter (a bed and high chair) and i’ve Been thinking about how to do a car garage for my boy but have not given it a go yet.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Trav, thanks for the comment. If you're thinking of a garage, it's worth looking at the one Frogbucket has just refurbished, it's in a reply to Marc's post about his first Mercedes Truck, might give you some more ideas!

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Trav,
Nice toys. Garage reminds me of the one my father made for me.
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Tom
Great looking work....congratulations on having the patience to do so many joints...
Thanks for referencing me in your post about my garage...When you actually break it down it's not that many pieces and not complicated...
All the best
Dave
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.