Author   Comment  
TommyT

Reply with quote  #1 
The Choo-Choo trains and plane! I made these two pieces for my little Grand Nephews, they love them. Oddly enough, they share playing with them too.  [smile]
Happy-Go-Lucky Train

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_0960.jpg, Views: 187, Size: 715.77 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_0961.jpg, Views: 184, Size: 730.88 KB 

xmac

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice work. Love your choice of woods used, looks great.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Tommy
Nice work, but I was wondering, is there anything you have not made? LOL
Can I ask what wood you used on the Airplane body?
   I have made several of this little train (maybe not as well as yours) and found it fun, and it creates interest at Craft Shows.  If fact this train is the first project I tried Metallic craft paints on, and just love the way they cover and look when finished.  We also made one where we burnt the top of the coal car and wheels.
   Thanks for sharing and I am amazed at the amount of work you have done.
Do you give everything away to family or do you sell some of your work as well?

TommyT

Reply with quote  #4 
Ken,  On this airplane I used Walnut for the body and Cherry for the Wings.  The prop is made from Aspen.

Lol, well I have made a few toys.  I do a little of everything.  Bowls, baskets, Portraits, Statutes, Custom Hunting knives, Walking Staffs, Canes.  

I started about 3 yrs ago when I found an ole stick laying on the ground while out hiking.  I used that stick for the rest of my hike that day and threw it in the back of my truck and took it home.  I decided to peel the bark off of it, then thought I would sand it down a little.  That looked good so I decided to use my Dremel to carve a few figures in it.  Well that was fun, so I decided I should stain the things  Hmmmm, not bad but what if I put a rubber tip on the end for traction, Yup, that worked.  All I need now was a leather wrist strap.  Next thing I knew I was going out looking for sticks to make more.  Some friends saw it, wanted me to make them one, next thing I knew I was selling them.  That was the beginning.  I never in my life made anything out of wood or used a saw in my life.   About two years ago I decided to give scroll sawing a whirl.  Ha....havent' stopped since.  I still have  few things I want to make  [smile][smile]

I use to sell my stuff at a local Street Faire, but it got to be costly.  Time, rental fees.  People always liked my stuff, but few laid out the $$ to buy it. So I stopped and now I just make them for myself and family.  It's enjoyable for me, I've got nothing but time.  LOL

Thanks Ken!

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks TommyT for the history.

We started by going to Sears and buying enough equipment to set up a cheap shop.  As you did, I found the scroll saw to be my favorite tool.  Then I found Toymakingplans.com and learned I could make their toys because the plans are so easy to follow, especially for someone like me with no experience at that time.  We have not stopped, and my best times are when I am cutting something.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Kids will like them Tommy . Douglas
Camnight

Reply with quote  #7 
Well done Tommyt they look good. I wish I had more time to make toys, I enjoy it as well.George
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #8 
Great job Tommy!  A train is definitely on my list to build ... and a plane ... and a boat ... well, you get the idea! [smile]

Reply with quote  #9 
Great looking toys. I have the pattern for that plane, but haven't taken the time to make it. One of many that I plan on making this year. I wish spring would hurry up and get here, so I can work on a consistent basis. I made the Happy Go Lucky Train for my youngest grandson, he loves it. I have a new one that is painted I am almost finshed with. It isn't cut as well as yours, but it is fun to make. I like the way you used two different wooods laminated together. I will have to try that with some cooked wood or take te time while it is cold to find a shop that has hardwood scraps I can use. Did you use the shellac finish  you have talked about on these?

Steve Currier
TommyT

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks all for your kind comments.  Steve, I used a lacquer finish on the train set.

Reply with quote  #11 
TommyT - Two great looking projects. Got a little busy this week and a little behind in the Forum activities sorry.
Enjoyed your intro story on how you got into woodworking and enjoy you posts.
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #12 
Great looking toys, very nice work.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.