Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #16 
Yeah I tried to do that, went into settings on my printer and there wasn't one for lightening or darkening....I chose the graphics/cad option for crisper lines......
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #17 
BTW: I was hoping to post the score of a lifetime but alas, it was not to be. I went to Walmart.ca to look for cheap toaster ovens to try my hand at baking wood and saw for for TEN BUCKS!! that's right, brand new, for 10 BUCKS......darn, sold out........

Did you ask for a raincheck? - Udie

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #18 
Great Post Muskokamike
I like what you did here.
I have been meaning to try this sense Udie posted his info.
I better get going.
Looks really good.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #19 
   I think if you (or me) had a colour inkjet printer, the T shirt transfer paper would work amazingly....Alas I had a piece of junk Epson that would not print a black type page if it was out of yellow....so you had to continually buy all three colours and they'd dry out since I didn't print colour very often.
   Someone gave me an HP inkjet, and it only requires black ink to print black so I think I'll buy a cartridge for it and try it out.
I haven't clear coated it yet but I don't see that there'd be any issues....
   One thing: I had some guide lines show up on the piece that I didn't want. I thought they'd just rub off....it didn't take a lot, but I did have to sand them off so it's not like it's just sitting on the surface loosely.
edited: I sprayed it with clear krylon lacquer and not a thing happened to the logo...yip!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #20 
Good One!!!!
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #21 
Just an update: i'm busy painting all my play pals and am going to try and transfer a laser image to one that is finished. I think the temps might melt the paint, but I'll report back. If it works it would be a great way to personalize a toy for a kid.....I'll keep you updated....
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #22 
Just as I suspected, the heat from the iron melted the paint....trust me, you don't want to do that with your clothes iron lol....less you want some odd colours on your shirts haha....

I'm going to see about high heat enamels and see how they work out...they're made to take the temps....too bad because it looked awesome....
Udie

Reply with quote  #23 
Muskokamike - Thanks for the update on iron-on to painted projects.
   Now, I guess the question is - did you use craft paints or latex. I would imagine the results would be the same.
   High heat enamels - are you thinking about the paints used on you car engine. I think I might be a little apprehensive of whether they would be child safe. I think most paints in Canada are VOC safe once the paint is cured sufficiently.
   But ... I think you might have just increased the cost of making the toy because of the higher price for the high heat spray paint. Just food for thought my friend.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #24 
Udie: Krylon lacquer was the paint....but I think it wouldn't matter, any paint would melt under those temps.
   As for the cost, yeah they might be a little more than other paints but you can charge a little more due to the decorations......I just looked up at Canadian Tire and if you want silver, you can get it for $5.94, same price as Krylon......Now Tremclad is $9.99 a can, but it only says "assorted" colours...
   I know BBQ paint is only available in black and is the same price as the rest of the Krylons.....though black doesn't help if you've only got a monochrome printer lol.....
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #25 
Just wanted to show you a result....the yellow is kind of translucent so the laser print shows through. The photo is a little over exposed so the black isn't as strong as it really is....it doesn't look half bad. I wouldn't suggest this for latex paints though, it'd be completely covered.

There are numerous places online that sell waterslide decal paper that can be put in an inkjet or laser printer. They come in clear or white. You can print off whatever you want, they apply it to the piece. Then to protect it put a clear lacquer or sealer over top. Some are even strong enough for coffee mugs and stuff. I'd order some but it's a little outside the budget right now. $15.00 for 5 8 x 10 sheets + $12.00 shipping.  school bus corrected.jpg   

caveman_fred

Reply with quote  #26 
Muskokamike that's a fantastic idea I'm going to order some that water slide transfer thanks for the post a very helpful idea
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.