Author   Comment  
CanadianScroller

Reply with quote  #1 

A technique for reducing vibration in a scrollsaw. Most people put a rubber mat under it but it really doesn't work. The best way is to increase the mass of the saw. The greater the mass the less tendency for vibration. If you make a shallow box the size of the base of the saw with a lid that will slide into the box.

Drill holes for bolts that will mount your saw into the box. the holes must go through both the box and the lid.
Put long bolts that will go through the height of the box and into the saw....
Fill the box with sand. Place the lid on the box with the bolts poking through the lid. The lid will "float" on the sand. Now fasten the saw with the bolts sandwiching the lid the sand and the box.
Start the saw and the saw will vibrate the sand. it will compress. Tighten the bolts. continue using the saw and tightening. Eventually the sand will add enough mass to the saw to substantially reduce vibration.
Carl

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Carl (CanadianScroller) - Very interesting solution in reducing vibration. Do you happen to have a couple of photos of this set-up for the members/guests to see it's construction?
CanadianScroller

Reply with quote  #3 
sandbox.png 
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Carl (CanadianScroller) - Thanks for the great pictorial. I am sure a few members just might give it a try.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Carl what saw do you have are you having issues with vibration. I have no vibration on my saw and it's bolted to ply and a made up of dexion metal stand bolted together. saw.jpg 

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.