Author   Comment  
Udie

Reply with quote  #1 
Udie's Martin Motors Car Carrier
It was a miserable day outside today, so what a great opportunity to get around to making the Martin Motors Antique Car Carrier.
1 Car Carrier View 1.jpg 
2 Car Carrier View 2.jpg 
3 Car Carrier View 3.jpg 
I did make some changes - I added a front and rear bumper to the Cab in addition to adding a pair of exhaust stacks.
But that is not all - I have a secret to share with you about this build.
To find out what my secret is - you will have to click on the link below to open the PDF article that details how I made this toy in a different way.

pdf Udies Martin Motors Car Carrier.pdf     

Happy Toy Making
Imants Udris (Udie)

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Imants,

Thanks for the great post. I found it both entertaining and very useful. The photos are excellent as is the presentation. Well done!

John
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Udie
   Love this article.  You should go into the toy business.
Really Nice.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #4 
Udie I have nothing but praise for you on the way you produce your PDF'S with the easy to follow info and pictures, Stupendous.Keep um comin' .

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks all for your wonderful comments. The Forum is a great place to share and show off your projects, in-work and completed. Show your modifications and the little out of the box thinking one has done to make them. I really enjoy doing these "How-To PDF's" and hope they inspire more members and guests to get into the workshop and post their projects and How-To's also. 
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #6 
Udie, I did the same, but also tried to make it even smaller as an Xmas ornament, but it was just too long and heavy for a tree, but for those who collect miniatures, it came out great. I still need to complete the finish before I try to see if it will sell in my Etsy store I just opened. I am still taking pictures and editing the m, when I get  them all done, I will post what I have made so far and let you'all critique them for me.

Steve Currier                                           

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Currierwoodworks
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
sjc5454 (Steve)
Went to your Etsy store looking to see if you posted your miniature Martin Motors Car Carrier.
Looks like you are still building you site.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
I've been thinking of buying/ making the Martin Motors and building as a tribute to Ken Martin. I've watched the video of Ken with these items but I've never had been given any knowledge of Ken Martin with these fine items. Can someone please tell me of any connection of Ken to these? Thanks in advance for answer(s)
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
It's no coincidence that the Martin Motors Car Carrier and Martin Motors Crafts Show Classics bear Ken's last name. Ken had inspired the designs. He wanted to build some toys that he believed would be blockbusters at his crafts shows. So John consulted with him about the designs and Ken agreed to prototype the toys for us. And Ken was spot on - they were wildly popular at his shows!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi All - I can confirm that these are huge sellers at of my shows.  They are usually the first thing that is sold out.  I have always made them at the reduced size (3/4" wheel).  Thank you Ken and John and Cynthia for the wonderful plan.
Udie - I have a question on the exhaust - I have been using the square dowels so there is more gluing surface.  On such a small piece, how do you glue it so it stays.  I know you made the pdf on sanding the one side - but this is so small.   
Udie

Reply with quote  #11 
Cindy
Square dowels will work just fine.
All you have to do is remove some paint where the square exhaust dowel and cab mate together.

My trick was to drill a small hole into the cab body, just above the axle hole.
Not to deep to interfere with the axle from turning freely.

I've made a short PDF file explaining my method and the glues I used.
pdf Peterbilt Mini Martin Motors Car Carrier.pdf     

Maybe you would like to give it a try.
Udie

Camnight

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Udie

Like the changes you made looks great.
I think I will make this my next project I am sure my grandkids
will love them.
George
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.