Author   Comment  
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
I am trying to use recycled Redwood from dunnage cleats from Redwood sleepers. They have neat coloring's but may be a soft timber to work with. Here in New Zealand Redwood used to be used for timber sashes in wooden joinery.

20190706_180053.jpg 
Cheers
Raymond

Peter V

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Raymond,

what are:
- "dunnage cleats"? 

- sleepers? Made of Redwood? Are that beds? 

- sashes

google translate doesn't come with an answer.

Peter V
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Peter V,
             Dunnage or cleats is waste timber between railway sleepers or ties so that fork hoist can get the forks under and lift them up.

images.jpg    sleepers.png 

Window Sashes is the opening part of a window where the glass sits.

Cheers
Raymond

Peter V

Reply with quote  #4 
Raymond,

thanks.

that wood on which rails are screwed, (they call in Dutch 'bielzen'), isn't that to solid (hard) to work with? 

Peter V
Rod T

Reply with quote  #5 
I am not familiar with the New Zealand Redwood, but recycling timbers is a great way to source wood for the hobby. Here in Australia, most old window sashes are made out of Cedar and is way too soft for toys. 

I have found, at times, old furniture that is given away for free. Nothing to lose by cutting it up and machining down to get to the fresh timber.
I have scored some Aust Red Cedar and Qld Maple this way. You can't buy this timber anymore, so nice to get when it comes along. 

Old TV cabinets are plentiful, but mostly made out of pine, so not really worth the effort.
Same thing with old pallets, most are pretty crappy timber and not worth the effort. They can also be treated with pesticides etc. So not really suitable for toys. 

Another source is a second hand building supply place that I check out every now and then. Can pickup old floor boards etc. really cheap. Again, they need machining down with a planer, but can get some interesting timbers this way.

A bit of experimenting goes a long way.

Cheers
Rod T

Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Rod T.  I have been getting 100 x 50 Macrocarpa cleats (dunnage) from Bunning Macrocarpa 200 x 100 landscape sleepers used for flower boxes and retaining walls, a Honey red colour.

030.jpg 

This toy is made out of a reddy piece

20190610_213158[1].jpg 

Cheers
Raymond

Peter V

Reply with quote  #7 
Raymond,

Nice build.

How did you make those wheels?

Peter V
Rod T

Reply with quote  #8 
Awesome find. You will get lots of toys out of that stack of wood. 

Awesome build too. Some nice colours in the wood. 

Cheers
Rod T

Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Peter V,

I made them out of 13mm plywood, the ply makes it look like tread. I let the 6mm dowel stick threw the wheel to look like a hub. I sand them with them in the drill press.

Cheers
Raymond
Peter V

Reply with quote  #10 
Raymond,

ok, clear ....... but those rims, did you make these with a forstnerbit (2 types, one for the truck and one for the shovel?) 

Peter V
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.