Author   Comment  
siemensj

Reply with quote  #1 
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use a table saw to cut out the pieces for this plan.

They are mostly straight cuts and I can't seem to make them very straight on my scroll saw. Any tips on using a table saw to cut small angled pieces like on the "super really wood combine" plan would be greatly appreciated.
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
siemensj
   Just to let the members and guests know, siemensj and I have had a couple of private emails between us and I now know a little more about which components he is concerned about. In addition to what tools are available to him to help him with this project.

Problem 1 - Cutting purchased stock materials and cutting them to the required widths and thicknesses for this project appears to be the first issue. Sizes such as 1/2 x 1-1/4, 1/2 x 1/2, 3/4 x 3/4 and 1/4 x 15/16 just to name a few.

There are two existing WTNs (Wood Toy News) that address this issue.
October 9, 2013 which has the article and an accompanying video. It demonstrates how to cut strips of wood safely and accurately using you table saw using a series of Push Blocks. These push blocks provide a tunnel for the table saw blade to enter and exit the push block while cutting your stock with no blade exposed during the process while maintaining control of you keeper piece and cut-off piece.
Here are the links ... Oct 9/13 WTN ... Oct 9/13 Video.

Next is the June 25, 2013 WTN. This WTN includes a section on Zero Clearance Table Saw Setup and Zero Clearance Surface (ZCS) and Push Block Safety. It demonstrates using common 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard on top of you table saw surface to provide a zero clearance work surface. Meaning, the thin pieces you cut will not fall into the gap between your saw blade and throat plate clearance hole. It also demonstrates how to attach a sacrificial board to your table saw rip fence using clamps. You could screw it to the rip fence providing your fence has thru holes or you can use good old fashioned double sided tape.
Here is the link to this WTN ... June 25/13 WTN.

In the mean time, I will work on creating a Form post demonstrating the steps I take on a few of the more complicated components and share them with you.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Good Job Udie
   Thanks for posting back to siemensj. I am sure they will find lots of helpful tips in the posts you let them to.

I am thankful you do what you do to help so many people here on the forum.
Again thanks.

siemensj

Reply with quote  #4 
I also am very thank full for your help.
You truly go above and beyond.
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
siemensj
This plan set requires a couple of 1/4" and 1/2" thick panels. These can easily be made from MDF or plywood. If your preference is to use materials such as Pine there is an easy way to make these panels.
The Wood Toy News (WTN) mentioned above demonstrates how to cut thin strips safely on your table saw and the September 17, 2013 WTN I forgot to mention was "Wide Board Glue Jig". This WTN article and accompanying video demonstrates how easy it is to make your own Wide Board Panels using a simple home made Wide Board Glue Jig.
Wide Board Glue Jig.jpg Basic Jig.jpg 
Here are the links to both the article and video.
Build a Wide Board Glue Jig - Article
Build a Wide Board Glue Jig - Video

I
should also mention that many of the big box stores carry for "Project Panels" or it may be called "Project Lumber" in various woods such as Poplar, Oak. One member told me that his store had Alder. These panels are available in various thicknesses and in some common widths such a 4" and 6". Perfect for any Toymakingplans.com panel requirements.

Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
siemensj
Would you like to see the Super Really Wood Combine completed by other members?
They can be found in the Wood Toy News (WTN's) section of Toymakingplan.com web site and in the Archived Toymakers Gallery articles.
The WTN section can be opened by clicking on the Wood Toy News tab at the top of the page.
WTN Top.jpg 
The archived Toymakers Gallery, can be opened by clicking the Click Here link in the above photo when that page is open.

It can also be found at the bottom of the page also.
WTN Bottom.jpg 
Completed Super Really Wood Combines can be viewed in the following articles.
WTN April 6, 2014 by wood toymaker Brian Scammell.
Archived Toymakers Gallery Articles by:
Bruce Employ - Bruce Employ Masters Toymaking Production.
Jim Davis - Jim Davis Elevates Toymaking T Fine Art.
Dave Szczepanek - Dave Szczepanek Builds Bearutiful Farm Combines.

Click on any of the photos below to open their articles.
Brian.jpg bruce.jpg Dave.jpg Jim.jpg 
Enjoy
PS: I must apologize for the terrible mini-photos above for the links.
Not sure what happened, but will try to fix them. - Udie

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Imants for the links and very useful article. This toy has been a favorite with toymakers since the plan set was published and works well with other ReallyWood scale toy plans. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.