Author   Comment  
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #1 

I had a blast building this train set. The plans were excellent and spot on. 

I have a few questions for others that have done the build. 

the first being is does anyone paint the parts before the glue up? I found it very difficult to paint after I had glued it together 1st. Especially around the wheels and getting inside the roofs on a couple of the cars. 
If the parts get glued after the painting, what type of glue did you use? 

I was stumped with the lumber car and what to use for strapping. I thought I had a pretty good plan. I purchased a jug of bungee chords from the Home Depot years ago that was full of assorted bungee chords. Some were really small and I never had a plan for a use for them. Until I customized them for the lumber car. But as an afterthought, I took child safety into consideration. Instead, I made a couple straps from some vinyl cordage that I have in stock. That work rather well with a few drops of crazy glue.
I was wondering what others have used. Instead of rubber bands of course? IMG_2271.JPG  IMG_2272.JPG  IMG_2273.JPG  IMG_2274.JPG  IMG_2275.JPG  IMG_2276.JPG 

This is a photo showing the bungee chords
IMG_2270.JPG 
The bungees are great for when I want to play with it.  

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
If you paint before glue up you need to leave the glue surfaces paintless. You may need to mask these areas. There is a post here some where with photos.

I would consider glueing the timbers together as a block and using magnets to hold it on.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks for the input Bob. 

I like the separate pieces of lumber as scaled in the plans. The glue up and magnet sounds like cheating, lol, but a nice idea for kid safety. 

Masking edges to be glued before painting is spot on great advice. Thank you. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I got another idea for holding the timbers on. Elastic hair ties aka pony tail holders. They are cheap come in lots of colors and sizes. Like little bungee cords but with out the hooks. Notch the edges of the beds to accept them. John's recently released plan has something similar on the logging truck.

elastic hair ties.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #5 
I actually tried the hair ties. Unfortunately, they were too short. It took rather large rubber bands to span the load. I had some leftover from newspaper delivery days. The ones that went around the Sunday specials loaded with coupons back in the day. IMG_2261.JPG

Bucko

Reply with quote  #6 
Nicely done on the train,1 to be proud of and an A+ on your Etsy store carvings which show great talent.
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you for the compliments, Bucko.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.