Author   Comment  
calhanton

Reply with quote  #1 
This was a great project and I have made five in all for various boys birthdays. Used a combination of plywood for the wings and nose and craftwood for the balance. I also made the wings 50mm wider than the plan for a better balance and used 19mm dowel for the under carriage. I did use some bought wheels on one plan but prefer the self made for being more accurate to the era. They were all give two coats of undercoat, three coats of colour and finished with two coats of clear, so all surfaces had seven coats in total, all sprayed. I also added two screws to support the wings as I know toy planes are apt to crash. I also varied the assembly process and made the wings separately and assembled the fuselage minus the tailplane. I then inserted the fuselage tail first from the front and fitted the tail plane. Much easier to keep all components square on a work bench.

Thanks

DSC03844.jpg  DSC03849.jpg  DSC03853.jpg  DSC03856.jpg  DSC03857.jpg  DSC03859.jpg
ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
These are nice.  I like combining the natural with the color.
Cindy
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Calvin,

Your bi-planes are begging to be played with! I love the colors. What brand of paint did you use? The 4 planes together in your photos is very exciting. Nice job!
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice Calvin. The workmanship and colors are great. Thanks for posting.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow Very nicely done. The Squadron is ready for take off.
The natural wood and colors make a nice contrast.

Thanks for sharing this great project.

Reply with quote  #6 
Excellent work love um.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
calhanton

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Cynthia
The spray paints I am using are Dy-Mark Brand. These are from Bunnings in Australia, but I think are the equivalent of the Brand you often mention on your plans. They have the brightest colours, and are also very economical compared to the larger brands.
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #8 
Very, very nice. I agree with Cindy, like the natural colors with the bright colors.

Russ
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #9 
Fantastic!

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Great improvements to a classic design. Very well thought out and executed. Thanks for sharing!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.