Author   Comment  
Toy builder Bob

Reply with quote  #1 
In a previous post I showed you the Hillbilly Hotrods that I made.This one is based on what I learned from building the deuce coupe.After seeing the hotrods, my sister asked me if I could make a model of her husband's race car for his 80th birthday.I told her to send me a picture and I would see what I could do.Here is the result. P1070130.jpg 
Following are some pictures of the process.It looks like two cars but it is only one. I like the look of natural wood and beeswax finish so that is what I started out to do,mainly because beeswax is a whole lot easier than painting.The wood I decided to use was walnut and padauk,so I built it all and then I thought I better test the beeswax finish before I glued it all together.I was not impressed with the results of the test wood. Due to different walnut boards being used ,the grain was not consistent and the color,instead of having a nice sheen to it as usual just came out looking very dirty looking.
IMG_0528.jpeg  You might be able to see from this photo what I mean. This is  just the raw wood ,no finish.

IMG_0507.jpeg  IMG_0527.jpeg  IMG_0526.jpeg  IMG_0533.jpeg  So on to plan B.These are pictures of the steps I used in painting the car before final assembly. IMG_0537.jpeg  IMG_0543.jpg  IMG_0540.jpg  IMG_0544.jpeg  And here is the final result along side the picture that my sister sent me. IMG_0548.jpeg  P1070136.jpg  Just some info on the car. This is  a class of stock cars that is called Vintage Modified.The vintage part is the body and the modified is everything else. The body is a 1933 Studebaker Rockne 10. Knute Rockne the famous University of Notre Dame football coach was hired by Studebaker to promote this durable, inexpensive car, starting in 1931.By July 1933 it was all over and Studebaker went into receivership. Thanks for looking.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This wood toy hot rod is a brilliantly done original and I just love it.
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #3 
Brilliant[thumb]
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #4 
Another masterpiece! Great job on this build. I'm sure he will like it a lot![thumb]
Jim
Lexie

Reply with quote  #5 
I bet your brother in law loves it!
Wombat

Reply with quote  #6 
A wise choice, painting, if you have the skill. You nailed it!

If your brother in law doesn't want it, can I have it?
Martin L

Reply with quote  #7 
What a brilliant make of a stock car I do like the engine and the exhaust system.  The paint job is great as well.

Toy builder Bob

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies.
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #9 
I REALLY LIKE THIS IT BRINGS OLD TIMES.

Reply with quote  #10 
Beautiful

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.