Author   Comment  
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #1 
So the other day I made the VW Car Carrier for my grandson along with the cars. He promptly took it home to show his sisters and MOM. He forgot the cars which was a good thing as I decided to build one to stay at our house so he has something to play with. I used the existing cars to check out the build LOL

I decided to embellish it a bit as well. I know it is supposed to be quick and easy build but I decide to play a bit. The results came out pretty good. I added bumpers, fenders and head lights to the truck. I painted the truck using "desert sand acrylic metallic"

I hand sketched the fender's till i got the look i wanted.

I like the look. After 2 coats it still lets the grain of the wood underneath show through a bit, as well as giving a nice sparkle ( the pictures don't really reflect that )

Quick N Easy Volkswagen Car Carrier + Airplane Play Pals

Anyway this is the results:
IMG_5370.JPG 
IMG_5369.JPG 
IMG_5371.JPG

Reply with quote  #2 
ed357sw
Nice job on the VW car carrier.  I like the mods to the truck.
I just finished one in plain wood and have one to paint.  
They are quick and easy, and should be great sellers at craft shows.
Thanks for sharing your build.

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
ed357sw - Very, very nice.
   Why is it everyone's yellow paint jobs look better than mine - LOL. Yellow just happens to be my only real problem colour. Your looks fantastic.
   Embellishments - glad you did them and they really make the truck pop. I think it is just great when members post their out of the box thinking. It shows you how versatile the plan sets are and how easy it is to enhance the finish product.
   What is really interesting is you saying the truck has two coats of desert sand acrylic. I was going to ask if it was milk paint or whitewashed. Yours has a nice classic wood toy look to it.
   Headlights - button/mushroom caps or axle pins? Same question about the truck, did you put button/mushroom caps over dowels or use axle pins there? 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello Udie,
thanks for the kind remarks.
Headlights are button caps, and the axles are axle pins as i was going after the hub look on the wheels. As far as the yellow is concerned it is 2 coats with a light sanding between coats. It came out very smooth to the look and touch.

thanks

Reply with quote  #5 
This is very nice.  Thanks for sharing. I do like that whitewash truck.  good idea. 
Cindy
joepeto

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow. you got it Ed! the truck became super. Your Grandson is a Lucky child. Congratulations,
Joepeto

John T

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Undi
An old signwriters trick, paint it with a good coat of white under coat first makes yellow realy pop.
Cheers
John T

John T - That is an excellent tip, I'm really glad you mentioned it. I will do that on my next yellow project for sure - Udie [thumb]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.