Author   Comment  
thechipcarver

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm new to this site and I want to first say that this looks to be a great site. Ok, on to the question.

The Cynthia's non-toxic bees wax finish says it's non-toxic but would you have to put a warning on the toys for people allergic to bees?  I would hate for someone to have a reaction while playing with the toys I had made.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi thechipcarver,

That's a great question and it's the first time anyone has mentioned the connection of a bee allergy to beeswax.

I don't think you'd have to make a warning label but you could make a tag that says, "This toy is preserved with beeswax."

Cynthia
Rod T

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't use a label, but I do inform anyone that is given or buys one of my toys what I have used as a finish. 

I use a product similar to Cynthia's wax, which is made from mineral oil and beeswax. Only because I am too lazy to make my own. It is labelled as a Butcher Block finish and says that it is food safe and safe for wooden toys. So I usually show the bottle to anyone who wants to know.

From what I can work out there are very few people allergic to beeswax and it appears the allergy has something to do with the pollen rather than the honey. This allergy is not as common as the bee sting allergy, which appears to have nothing to do with the honey or wax.

I have more people concerned about the "Mineral Oil" content. The very words "Mineral" and "Oil" conjure up a fear response.

Also, welcome to the site. Make sure you post some pictures of your toys. It's always fun checking out what others are making.

Cheers
Rod T

retired13

Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome to the site. The bee allergy is a good question. I do not use any finish on the puzzles I make. No matter the size I include a caution " not suitable for children under a certain age" I do this just to make buyers aware that there may be small pieces.

Hambone

Reply with quote  #5 
It has been a long time since using the site.  How do I find Cynthia's finish using the thermometer. I've used the technique but have forgotten how to do it.

Hambone
cynthia lewman

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Hambone,

You can view the video here:

https://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html
Hambone

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks.  Do you keep the excess in the refrigerator for future use or in the freezer?

Hambone

Hambone
cynthia lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Hambone,

You can store it at room temperature, in the fridge or in the freezer. The mixture won't go bad. It just depends on which thickness you'd prefer to use the paste. The colder the paste, the thicker the mixture. You can store it at room temperature and then put it in the freezer for 30 min. to an hour before using it if you want to thicken it.

Cynthia
retired13

Reply with quote  #9 
Very interesting video. I just try to make some.
Hambone

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks. Was very hard to find a thermometer with a clip  Walmart had a few but the clip is not adjustable so the thermometer is longer than the pot! I will check a private pharmacy on Monday.  Order online?

Hambone

Hambone
craigrozema

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
Thanks. Was very hard to find a thermometer with a clip  Walmart had a few but the clip is not adjustable so the thermometer is longer than the pot! I will check a private pharmacy on Monday.  Order online?

Hambone

look for a candy thermometer in the kitchen supplies

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=candy+thermometer
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.