Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
From one of my earliest plan purchases, I reckon the Build Wood Toy Boats Book, these boats were cut from 35mm thick (or thin, depending on your perspective!) with a #7 skip tooth blade and feature sails made from some nylon stuff instead of skinny wood.
Don't tell me how impressed you are with my sewing - my wife/lover/partner/best friend sews although I couldn't help notice how alike her sewing machine movement is to my scroll saw [smile]
Finished with Danish Oil and quite capable of being floated in the tub without sinking.
Or in my case, on one of our ponds.
Regards
Doc

boats.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
Good work only one question ate those flags or are they sails and if so what are the two upright dowels,  smoke stacks , for a sailing ship. Well will have to see if I can find a set of plans that I like. - Don
Doc

Reply with quote  #3 
G'day Don
If you follow the link (click here) you should be able to see the original piccy of what these were.
Originally the mast had a solid sail but since I sell toys to the public I thought it might be too flimsy so I replaced mine with 9.5mm dowel.
I also replaced the solid sail with nylon sail material that simply slides over the mast.
The two upright 25mm dowels are little dudes - they have no arms (I guess they're 'armless') and a couple of dents for eyes and a nail head kerf for a mouth.
They fit into matching holes in the deck so they don't fall overboard during stormy bath times.
The plans were one of many in the book from this site [thumb]
Thanks for your questions Don

Reply with quote  #4 
Doc
Another wonderful project. The dowel people have so much potential to be modified and used in many projects. The modifications to the sale assembly is excellent.
Udie
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #5 
Well that explains the STACKS I thought that they were stacks now I will have to check that out later today. Any way nice boat - Don
Doc

Reply with quote  #6 
Don, with most plans you can make them into whatever sort of doohicky you want.
Glue the double dowel dudes in and leave the mast and sails out and you have a nice tug boat sort of thingy [thumb]
I'll keep an eye on my language in case I get too technical [wink]
Regards, in good humour

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Doc
Looking at your fine work, makes me want to take another look at this plan set I bought some time ago.
This looks like a great project for craft shows.  Simple, just a few pieces, and done.
My sails may not be as cool, but you can't have everything right?
Good job and thanks for sharing, and the how-to comments.

Doc

Reply with quote  #8 
Ken I sell online and mainly at craft shows in the big smoke every few months so I have lots of 'simple' stuff that I can make quickly as well as some of my bigger stuff that looks impressive but doesn't always take that long to make.

As for the sails, if I didn't have access to somebody who sews (and does it well) I would have just cut out triangles and stuck them on the dowel [biggrin]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.