Author   Comment  
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a Craftsman 10" bandsaw. Buying blades for it is, at times, a mystery, i.e. "tooth set", "raker" "tpi" "skip", "width". What blade would you recommend as a basic bandaw blade for toymaking and where do you buy them?
Thanks
Dennis

Reply with quote  #2 
Try  http://www.pswoodmachines.com.  I have a Jet Bandsaw with a 16" span.  It uses 123 inch blades.  Also a problem to obtain.  They can help with an education.

Reply with quote  #3 
I don’t change blades that often. The class used my particular model bandsaw, and I pretty much knew what he was teaching anyway. Picked up a couple of good tips. I am not that happy with the blades that I got. I actually got them from Laguna. I got different sizes, up to 1/2 for bigger stuff.

If you are going to do a bit of re-sawing for scrolling, I would consider around 3/8” . I can re-saw a 2 x 4 with no problem, or a 4 x 4 even. Just take it very slow and use the fence. Any bigger and I would decently go with a bigger blade. If you want to do greater turns, then use a 3/16” or smaller. Not sure what your range of blades are on your saw. There is many different ways and different TPI you can use. I would google and do the research on it, like I am going to do. However, my blades are still good, so I am not looking to buy right now. I know it won’t be from the manufacturer. They can get expensive but you get what you pay for. It can last you a long time, even if you use it a lot if you take care of it. Try and google your manual if still available or check out Facebook groups for bandsaws. I know their is groups out their and that is where you can get a wealth of information and blogs too! Just like we do for Scrollsawing. I still have a lot to learn too and that is just a few ways I get my info.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Michael L.

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
One blade for resawing as wide as your saw will use. Low tpi I think mine is three teeth per inch. You never use this blade for anything but straight cuts (Rip or resaw) once the blade gets twisted it will not cut straight or as smooth again.

One blade the smallest you can get with a high tpi. You can get them as small as 1/8 inch. This is for your scrolling cuts.  

I keep at least two of each blade on hand and reorder as soon as I install the last one.

I buy all my blades from Suffolk Machinery Corporation.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Djtjak

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the information, I get my blades from Suffolk machinery too. I don't do any resawing, but I will order the 1/8" blade you recommended.
Dennis

Reply with quote  #6 
Great explanation Bob. [biggrin] My machine will 3/4 is the biggest. I can get a 1/8 is the smallest. Thanks..

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Bucko

Reply with quote  #7 
I’ve had my 14” Grizzly Bandsaw for 2 years now and my nickname for it is the “ workhorse of the shop”. My go-to blade that’s used 90% of the time is a 3/8” wide blade. I’ve got a 1/2” wide blade that I’ve used for cutting the parts for Rocking Style toys. I should add I’ve an older Rockwell 10” bandsaw that I’ve have equipped with a 1/4” blade for sharper cuts. I use pswood blades and am quite happy with them , I also use their scrollsaw blades with no complaints. I used their customer service once and I was more than satisfied with their response.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
If you buy Suffolk Machinery blades they include instructions on how to tension their blades. I highly recommend you read and follow their instructions.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #9 
For most cutting jobs I use a 1/4" blade with 10 or 14 tpi.
As sanding is not my favourite job I choose a blade with more tpi's.
Only for resawing I use a 1/2" blade with 3 tpi.

Here you can find a guide about how to choose a band saw blade.
http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=4

- Miriam -

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.