Author   Comment  
Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Folks,

I am wanting to buy a CNC, I am in Australia & have found it difficult to find many hobby (bench top) size CNC to purchase in AUS.

I have been looking at the Nextwave Shark 2 & have only found 1 supplier here for this machine. From my research it seems quite good but due to the poor service i have been getting from the supplier I am concerned about buying it from them.

I would be keen to here from anyone in Aus about their experience with the machine they have & where you got it from

regards

Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Greg, I bought a M1 which is a 600 x 600 one from this company which they build them selves. Have a look at their website which is in New Zealand. https://vertigotech.co.nz/

Cheers Raymond.

Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Raymond i will check them out
wmgeorge1

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Greg -

Checkout Inventables, I bought the 1000x1000 unit, works great reasonable price..

Http://inventables.com

Bill
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Gregg. Here is a photo of my CNC router as it came out of the plywood crate with it's Aussie 3 pin plug 240 volt, ready to plug in.600 x 600 bed, 750 x 750 mm foot print. 

20170609_184927[1].jpg 
Cheers Raymond

KellyBurnsNKY

Reply with quote  #6 

Do you like to build/assemble things?  I do think Inventables XCarve is the most reasonably priced 2.5D CNC machine.  Their software does require internet connection, but the main version is free and does a really good job.  You can also play around with the PRO Features for 4 days per month for free as well.  In addition it is compatible with any software that works with GRBL-based.  That pretty much means anything.  

I currently have an X-Carve 1000x1000.  I purchased it 3 years ago when hey were first released. I traveled around doing demos to Junior High and High School as well as Maker Faire's so I cut it down to 1000's x 500 so it would fit in my SUV.   I have smaller DIY machine for demos, so I recently enlarged the X-Carve back to its original size so I could do some large pattern routing.  

I have built a number of machines from Scratch over the last 10 years.  My current Maker Demo machine is an OpenBuilds design, but I chose the size and features and built it from parts.  They also have bundles.  The  OpenBuilds C-Beam design is very sturdy and precise machine. (Much more so than X-Carve)  In the States, you are looking at a starting price of $1000 for a smaller design and go up from there.   Mine is a little smaller version of this bundle (http://openbuildspartstore.com/openbuilds-c-beam-machine-xlarge/).  Mine has has approx. capacity of 500mmx300mm.  

Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Kelly, my CNC router is GRBL based using smoothie firmware, software, what ever you call it. I edit John's plans with a program called Inkscape which converts PDF files to SVG files which I in port into Inventables "Easel" program, but it only let's me cut on the line and as I use a 1/4" bit I lose 1/8" all around my work piece, except when I draw an item in Easel then I get the option to cut on or outside or inside the line. I am asking you as it appears you have experience with the whole process, with John's plans, editing them, saving to SVG format to G code to cutting item out. Not good at english, that's why I ended up being a wood worker, got sawdust in my veins. Thanks

Cheers Raymond 
Greg Farr

Reply with quote  #8 
thank you all for your great advise,

from the comments i have been able to select the Stepcraft 600
I am looking forward to building as it arrives tomorrow
KellyBurnsNKY

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Farr
thank you all for your great advise,

from the comments i have been able to select the Stepcraft 600
I am looking forward to building as it arrives tomorrow

That's a nice machine.  Don't recall seeing any negative comments about Stepcraft.   

Have Fun!  
KellyBurnsNKY

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerlaws
Hi Kelly, my CNC router is GRBL based using smoothie firmware, software, what ever you call it. I edit John's plans with a program called Inkscape which converts PDF files to SVG files which I in port into Inventables "Easel" program, but it only let's me cut on the line and as I use a 1/4" bit I lose 1/8" all around my work piece, except when I draw an item in Easel then I get the option to cut on or outside or inside the line. I am asking you as it appears you have experience with the whole process, with John's plans, editing them, saving to SVG format to G code to cutting item out. Not good at english, that's why I ended up being a wood worker, got sawdust in my veins. Thanks

Cheers Raymond 

Its a matter of how the PDF files are generated from TMP.com.  The result is a bunch of line segments and arcs.  Its not just files from this site.  I actually run into this a great deal when I try to convert PDF based plans. 

Rather than go through the details, this video does a good job of showing the exact problem and how to fix it in Inkscape.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=70qQIhxcu8s

Eventually, I'll try to put together a Conversion workflow for Inkscape/Easel like the one that was done for Illustrator and V-Carve.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #11 
Check out the SHAPEOKO 3 as well I'm thinking of getting that over the x carve.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Kelly for that youtube link about converting PDF plan files to SVG files.
I look forward to a Conversion workflow for Inkscape/Easel soon.

Thanks a lot
Raymond

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.