Author   Comment  
Wiley Rufus Peak

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi toymakers. I see lots of toys in the wood toy news and in the gallery on the website that are color and shiny. I don't know how this is done. I try to spray sanded wood and it just soaks in. The more I spray the worse it looks. I am talking about toys that are different colors and are smooth finish that look perfect. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks.
Wiley Rufus Peak

Reply with quote  #2 
Also thanks to everybody for the posts. I read every one. Udie-thanks for mm info. Helpful. Sherm-Gary both helpful tips thanks. You too Ken.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Wiley ... What I do is spray paint large pieces and sometimes I spray paint smaller pieces before assembly. I do mask off areas that glue will be applied to first. Before spray painting it is always a good idea to seal the wood first with a brush on sealer or primer, or even spray this coat on, then sand the wood fibers that pop up for a ultra-smooth surface before spraying the final coat. Most of the time I use craft paints, put on a craft paint sealer, sand and 2 or 3 coats of final colour. And to top it off use the bee's wax that Cynthia shows you how to make. Which you can find in the "Toymaker Workshop How To's". This same link shows a video on how John paints his products, take a look. Then go back to the home page and on the left side you will see my smiling face, thanks to John and Cynthia, which is a link to "Meet Our Toymakers" click on the "GO" button. Lots of good information there, make sure you look at the bottom of each article you read because many articles from most of the toymakers are more than one pages. Spray painting is done in many stages, light spray, dry, sand, light spray, dry, sand, light spray for your final coat. Hope other toy makers jump in and send you some tips also.
Wiley Rufus Peak

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Udie, I am up and painting before the holiday stuff happens. The 4th of July is quite an event at my house. I've had pretty good luck with John's video and a brush. It's a good improvement and I am confident I can get better. I'll pick up some spray primer at Walmart this morning and sneak in a little fun time before everyone gets up for breakfast.
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #5 
Udie and Wiley, I have the same problem as Wiley. My toys NEVER look like the ones in the pictures that John sends out on plans. I assumed that they were doctored up in the photo! Udie, I read your technique closely and I got lost - I guess I need a one - two - three to fully understand your steps, Do you have special place to spray? Do you put on ticks, hang on wire or what for small pieces. Have not found a way to do that well - especially wheels, Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Also are you making toys to sell or just for fun - I sell toys and give a lot away but painting is really time consuming

Thanks,
PaPa Jack
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
PaPa Jack ... If you need more info feel free to ask, glad to help. Have you read my first article on the 'Toddler House'? There I have explained a few of my tricks and tips in preparing/painting/drying small pieces using a home made Paint Drying Rack and using a Hot Melt Glue Gun to mount small pieces on nails. Basically you have just made a removable handle for your small parts.
Go to the Toymakingplans.com 'Home' page. On the top left is my smiling face with 'Meet Our Toymakers'. Click on the 'Go' tab and it brings you to the 'Toymakers Gallery'. The article you are looking for is 'Imants Udris Shares Toymaking Workshop & Building Tips'. At the bottom of page 1 you will see the Paint/Drying Rack and my method for mounting. Continue to page 2 for other tips. Hope this helps.
todkarol

Reply with quote  #7 
Udie, can you provide a link to said article? From the Home page I cannot find this "Meet Our Toymakers" page. Thank you.

todkarol: Gary is right with his directions. My post was from last year, since then the web site has had some modifications. It is in "Read Toy Stories" and currently the third (3rd) one down.
All I can say is Oops! Here is the link.
Imants Udris Shares Toymaking Workshop & Building Tips.
Udie
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #8 
hi its about half way down the page on the left but is call read toy stories also the tabs at the top of the page you can read copys of wood toy news also a good read.gary

Reply with quote  #9 
When sanding the item between coats of paint what # grit do you use ?

Reply with quote  #10 

blackwolf: In the "Wood Toy Workshop" section of the web site there is a video where John demonstrates  application and preparation methods for painting toys. Here is the link.
How To Paint Dinosaurs

In addition to that, each plan set usually includes some preparation and application guidelines.
Such as :
Apply two (2) coats of primer, spray or brush on.
Sand between coats with 220 grit sand paper.
Apply three (3) coats of colour with sanding in-between each coat with 400 grit sand paper.
Final coat is suggested to be Krylon Triple Thick Clear Finish or if you prefer Cynthia's Non-Toxic Child Safe Bee's wax.
How to make the Bee's wax paste is also posted in the "Wood Toy Workshop" and here is the link to that.
How to Make Cynthia's Non-Toxic Bees Wax Wood Toy Finish.

Hope this helps.
Udie

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.