You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
What is the most durable wood to make toys from?

I'm making toy animals. Getting the grain direction optimal for all the parts is difficult at best and nearly impossible for some of them. One of my toys was broken when it was dropped. I would rather not have this happen. I'm making a woolly mammoth for my grandson and shop made plywood for the tusks because I was sure they would break off easily if I didn't.

Many toy designs seem to give little thought to things like grain direction. 

I made this one with the grain running up the neck because I thought that would break easily if I didn't.

20181224-194819 Handmade Wooden Toy Dinosaur Brontosaurus Apatosaurus .jpg 

Here is what happened to it.

Broken Dinosaur 002.jpg 

Broken Dinosaur 001.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
My favorite wood for toys with break-off areas is walnut. I have found it super durable. That said, most very fie grained hardwoods are durable the same way.
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #3 
you will always get short grain somewhere. fast grown softwood will break real easy. The locos I posted are the same, the back of the cabs break off. a slower grown hardwood will be better but will still be a weak spot

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon
you will always get short grain somewhere. fast grown softwood will break real easy. The locos I posted are the same, the back of the cabs breaks off. a slower grown hardwood will be better but will still be a weak spot

I understand there are always weak spots but, if I can mitigate the risk by choosing a different wood I would love to do that. What I don't want is to have the toy break within a few days from bringing dropped.  That is what happened to the toy I posted.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

craigrozema

Reply with quote  #5 
I've had the most luck with maple. Almost everything I've made in oak has cracked at the weak points and im stuck gluing them back together. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrozema
I've had the most luck with maple. Almost everything I've made in oak has cracked at the weak points and im stuck gluing them back together. 

I was afraid of that. I have a bunch of oak and it's redily available.

Thanks

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Anyone using hickory?

I looked at a chart with a lot of detail about wood. Hickory is on the top for strength. No domestic hardwoods (US) are even close.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Bob I used Hickory for 1 small car and it’s so heavy I was concerned of it being dropped on toes and didn’t use any more .
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #9 
as you have a supply of Oak, try putting some dowels in across the grain, before it breaks. That's my only suggestion and I don't even know if it would work

BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon
as you have a supply of Oak, try putting some dowels in across the grain, before it breaks. That's my only suggestion and I don't even know if it would work

It would work in some cases. I have used bamboo skewers to repair broken toys. It would work in some places but would leave a different colored dot and add extra steps to the build.

I would like to avoid adding extra steps the build if possible.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

griff2379

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Bob 
A wood you might try is Sycamore. It is close grained and plain white. In the UK it is used by a friend of mine who makes clogs (wooden working shoes/boots ) for a living. They undergo percussive use as they hit the floor.
If you can get it Ash will accept "bashing".
Hope this helps
Griff
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #12 
Bob I have good luck with poplar and maple.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us