Author   Comment  
DanKage2000

Reply with quote  #1 
I have the plans to make the speedway stock car race team, consisting of 2 cars and 1 hauler. My problem is the plans call for 1/8 and 1/4 MDF board. #1 you cant find 1/8 MDF anywhere and is MDF going to be strong enough for kids to be doing 200 MPH in the living room. I think if I go with a hard wood what would I use for the 1/4 inch thick wood. Would it be way to costly and heavy. Please any advice welcome. Thanks
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Dan,

You ask an important question. 1/4" Danish plywood or sawn-down standard lumber can be used for the 1/8" thick parts. All of the 1/8" thick parts are very small and can be cut from any thickness and type of lumber that is thicker than 1/8". Please share photos of your progress with the forum. This is a fun build.

John
DanKage2000

Reply with quote  #3 
so what type of wood do you recommend for the rest of the build?

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
If you are going to paint the set MDF is recommended. It has more than enough strength, saws and sands beautifully and is easy to glue and clamp. We have toys of various types on hand of MDF that have been played with regularly and that are over 40 years old by two generations of our family. You can buy 1/4" MDF at most lumber outlets and it is also available in 1/2" and 3/4" sheets. Some outlets stock the 1/8" thick MDF. We buy the 2' x 4' project panels or have the store clerk cut the 4/ x 8/ sheets cut down to 2' x 4'.

We often use what is called Danish, Birch or Baltic premium plywood project panels in 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. And then on some projects we use the cheapest of woods-framing lumber. This is the common 2 x 4, 2 x 6, 2 x 8 stock that is used carpenters for roughing in house frames. Parts with thicknesses from 1/16" to 1-1/2" are often sawn from this type of lumber by cutting the thick stock down to thin strips on the table or band saw.
DanKage2000

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
DanKage2000
In John's reply he mentions "cutting thick stock down to this strips on the table saw and band saw".

There are 3 articles on that topic in the Wood Toy News (WTN) section and 2 have an accompanying video.
I think you will find these very interesting and hopefully help solve your problem.

Go to  the "Wood Toy News' tab seen at the top of page.

Pick 2013 as the year and look for:

"How to  Safely Make Thin Wood Strips" - there you will find a pfd and a video.
next look for

"Wide Board Gluing Jig" - again there is a pdf and a video.

finally look for the WTN dated "June 25. 2015"
on Woodworking Secrets.
There you will find information on a 'Zero Clearance Table Saw Set-Up'.

The videos mentioned above can also be viewed under the tab "How-To-Videos'.

Enjoy

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.