Author   Comment  
Shirley

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I am somewhat new and I have a couple of questions.
1st:  I am making small cars from your plans which I love, for toddlers (grandkids).  But, having a little problem with the wheels turning really good.  I have enlarged the holes for the dowels to go through, but still not turning as well as I'd like.
2nd: Will flat washers help?  I tried a couple of larger cars and used washers and it seemed to help a lot
But, I am afraid with these little ones that the washers themselves might be harmful if a little one was to swallow one or choke on it.  Is this safe to use on smaller vehicles?
I love the patterns and love making them as they look so cute.
Just concerned about the choking danger.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Shirley in NV
wooden fish

Reply with quote  #2 
Shirley'  I have used plastic straws (thanks to Dunkin Donuts) to line the holes I drill for the axels.  This makes the drilled hole very smooth.  This only works if you use dowels as the axels.  Does not work with axel pegs.

wooden fish in PA
Shirley

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank You for reply.  That sounds as though it may work except that we don't have a "Dunkin Donut," for a hundred miles in either direction.  Do have a McDonalds that have hole with large diameter.  I am using 1/4" dowels and for the 1" width of the car I drill a hole just the next size up which seems to give it a little more room.  I will check out the McDonald straw and see how that fares.
Thanks so much for the idea.
Shirley in NV.
Shirley

Reply with quote  #4 
I tried it, it works.  I drilled the holes a little bit larger than the straw to get it in the hole.  I had used 9/32 bit and this is the next larger size, just can't make out the size (old eyes and all).  Cut the straw to same width as pine board stuck in 1/4" dowel and they rolled as smooth as a whistle.
I can't thank you enough as this has stumped me for a very long time.  So, back to the automotive department.  Christmas is right around the corner and if I ever get back inside McDonalds I'll ask them for an extra straw or two.
Thanks, Shirley

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
You could split the straw lengthwise so it overlaps itself a little to get iy into the hole.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley
Hi, I am somewhat new and I have a couple of questions.
1st:  I am making small cars from your plans which I love, for toddlers (grandkids).  But, having a little problem with the wheels turning really good.  I have enlarged the holes for the dowels to go through, but still not turning as well as I'd like.
2nd: Will flat washers help?  I tried a couple of larger cars and used washers and it seemed to help a lot
But, I am afraid with these little ones that the washers themselves might be harmful if a little one was to swallow one or choke on it.  Is this safe to use on smaller vehicles?
I love the patterns and love making them as they look so cute.
Just concerned about the choking danger.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Shirley in NV

If you want your toys to roll well, washers between the wheels and the body are a must.

Nylon washers work better than any metal.

Drilling everything straight, accurate, and square to the sides is essential to keep the wheels running true.

Axel holes must be parallel to each other. The more axels the toy has, the more critical this gets.

Axel pegs work better than solid axels, and you can pin them to keep them from coming out.

Wheels should be mounted as close to the body as possible without touching. Use a jig made from a thin plastic card to keep the space.

Glue the wheels one side at a time, making sure they are square to the axels. Let the first wheels cure before adding the second set of wheels.

A bit of wax on the axels helps, but be sure to keep it off the places where you need glue.

Kids can break toys. Little parts are choking hazards. If they are still puttimng things in their mouth don give them these toys. Some kids will be fine at two and others will still be putting things in their mouth when they are four. I tell my customers not to give them to kids under three years old.

Click here for more detailed info.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
It depends on what you are going to use for a finish.

Some paint doesn't need any primer.

If you need to seal knots or some pitchy wood, yes, you need a primer-sealer.

I always seal MDF with shellac.

I have had wood that specific finishes would not cure properly on. They need a primer-sealer.

Shellac doesn't need a primer.

Polyurethane does not need primer, but you may need to seal the wood.

Craft acrylics may not need primer or sealer depending on the paint you are using and the color. For example, if you want a bright yellow, you need a white introduction.

If you want a finish smooth or glossy, you should prime sand and prime again until it feels smooth to the touch.

Are you confused yet?

Shirley

Reply with quote  #8 
thanx, Bad Bob.
  Couldn't find any nylon washers at hardware store, so got some metal ones and they really do make a difference.
  Thank you, again
Shirley in NV
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley
thanx, Bad Bob.
  Couldn't find any nylon washers at hardware store, so got some metal ones and they really do make a difference.
  Thank you, again
Shirley in NV

I odder my nylon washers from eBay. It takes 4-6 weeks to get them here from China but they are a tiny fraction of the cost of buying them from the big box stores.

Peter V

Reply with quote  #10 

Shirley,

I use these:

I do not know where you live but maybe yoy can order those? 

https://www.essentracomponents.com/en-nl/p/flat-washers-plastic/1006750000vr

If - otherwise - I can be of any assistance by ordering those and send these over?

One side is 'glossy', the other has some round 'holding points', hope it is visible. Through the camera it was.

I put the glossy part at the wheelside.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07265.jpg, Views: 6, Size: 258.39 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07266.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 253.59 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07268.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 557.17 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07269.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 155.60 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07270.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 149.88 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.