Author   Comment  
Udie

Reply with quote  #1 
Wheels (Bargain Wheels)
Were they a good deal or a bust?

I would like to share with you the events of my recent trip to the craft store and my bargain wheel purchase.

1 Three Sizes.jpg 
The attached "Bargain Wheels PDF" tells the story.
Hope you find the events entertaining.

pdf Bargain Wheels.pdf     
Happy Toy Making
Udie

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
I think you did make a great buy.
Way to go.
Nice post.
I have been using some of the same type of wheels for odds and ends, myself.

Hambone

Reply with quote  #3 

With regard to dowel sizes, I have found that those at our local Lowes are very accurate.  They aren't even close if purchased from the hardware store.  I learned this from experience.  Result:  Whenever I buy wood, dowels, etc. I ALWAYS take a measuring instrument.  Your wheel comments are very much appreciated!
Hambone

Hambone
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #4 
you done well there udie looks a real good buy.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello All,  My first post.  I'm in Tasmania and slowly setting myself up to embark on a great hobby of wooden toy making, so I've been doing a lot of research.  You guys in the US have it made when it comes to parts especially wheels.  Buying them direct the prices are amazing compared to Australia, but the same old problem - US$80 postage for a US$15 order.  Is anyone aware of a supplier who will do a deal on international postage with larger orders? Maybe there is another Aussie on the forum who knows where to buy wheels at a fair price? Just a thought.  Local suppliers in AU are scarce and very expensive.  The other alternative I guess is to make my own wheels, but the finish is compromised.  Anyway pleased to be a part of the forum.  Ray
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
fiproject
   So nice of you to join the Forum. This is not the first time we have heard about the difficulty and cost of purchasing wheels in Australia and Tasmania. I think someone did post a supplier, but for some reason I am unable to locate it right now, I'll keep looking.
   In the meantime take a look at the link below. It will take you to the How-to-Do's Tips & Tricks section of the Forum and to a post dated 02/04 titled Small Wheels by Ceefa.
One of the replys is where I used Islandtrader's idea to make wheels. Using the drill press, a hole saw and the table saw resulted with quite acceptable flat wheels. I demonstrated what I did with photos. Maybe you can make some wheels using this method until you find a supplier for contour and treaded wheels.
Ken mentioned in another post that when he orders materials he always orders the dollar amount where shipping costs are now free.
Here's the link to that post Small Wheels.
Hope this helps.
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #7 
Good work.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #8 
Sorry Udie, didn't read your pdf story yet...BUT I just wanted to add:

For us Canadians there's another online supplier of toy parts and other things. It's called 
Work Shop Supply.... They too carry wheels and other items that we might need in our endeavors.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.