Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #1 
Buying wooden wheels in the UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ has become near impossible, unless you are willing to pay the exorbitant postage cost from the USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ .

The only company that I knew has now closed due to the owner passing away. I have been toying with the idea of making wheels from casting resin.
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #2 
I hot glued some wheels to a board, you then have to surround them with 1” walls made out of pretty much anything.
I then mix some silicone rubber and pour to create a mould. After 6 hours the mould is dry and ready to use.
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #3 
This is how the mould looks when dry, I found out that the reason the mould looks a little rough is because the silicone run under the wheels slightly.
This is easily avoided, I could roll out a thin strip on plasticine to create a seal under the wheels.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: BD25AF76-5B32-4E28-AEEC-D2A94897DB21.jpeg, Views: 69, Size: 2.46 MB 

richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #4 
I then mix up a batch of resin add a black pigment and pour into the mould. After 24 hours I simply pull from the mould, and a small amount of cleaning up and you have a perfect wheel.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: D2C21FEB-1EDE-4A0F-B289-3ACA3F1C2FDE.jpeg, Views: 64, Size: 1.46 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 9BE97DDA-F8D7-4A1A-8082-13D75468FB8E.jpeg, Views: 68, Size: 1.59 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 69BB293E-B157-40EA-AB94-32ACD3DA9040.jpeg, Views: 72, Size: 3.29 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 3FE5BB4D-56B4-4A4C-B965-34F5A5177CC5.jpeg, Views: 72, Size: 2.79 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: BCF94544-A31B-46ED-BAD4-538539F8A883.jpeg, Views: 68, Size: 1.95 MB 

richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #5 
I am really please with the result, and now I can have a steady supply of wheels.
The pics show a wooden wheel and a resin wheel side by side.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 6248956A-C88E-4C35-8B4B-BA91681B60C4.jpeg, Views: 63, Size: 2.65 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: F8F86525-21D0-4C93-BED6-2AEF58E1AC45.jpeg, Views: 59, Size: 2.75 MB 

richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #6 
I receive a suggestion for John Lewman last night which has increased my excitement.
John suggested that maybe I could replace the resin with rubber to create rubber wheels.

John you are a genius. I have researched this and it turns out that the same supplier sells a polyurethane liquid rubber that you can pour into the same silicone mould and all it takes is 2 hours to cure. I will be placing an order soon, I will also post the details once I know it works.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Your first prototype resin toy wheel is absolutely thrilling to see. I just can't believe you did this! Wow! It looks exactly like a wood toy wheel that has been carefully painted to look like tire rubber. I love this. How does the weight compare to the wood wheel in the photo? Can resin be purchased in quantities that make wheel production economical?

This is so exciting. I am designing a new line of toys and this gives us all the capability of making our own wheels. I have designed some wheels and tires that can be prototyped in wood on a lathe or using a bench mounted drill or drill press to shape the original proto.

Thanks for sharing this super idea and photos.
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #8 
The resin and polyurethane rubber works out to be roughly the same price. I bought 5kg for Β£35, you would be able to cast quite a lot of wheels put of that amount. 100ml of resin did 8 wheels some 1 1/4" some 1". 1kg of silicone rubber worked out to be
750 ml. The weight of the resin wheels are slightly heavier than wood, buy you can't notice unless you weigh them. I have ordered some polyurethane rubber, I will keep you posted.
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #9 
I can't wait to see your new line of toys John.
Very exciting indeed.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Very interesting and well done Richard
griff2379

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi 
This ties in nicely with the CNC debate recently as the moulds could be machined using 2 1/2 D or 3D where available. 
Just thinking !
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
That's a good idea griff239. It makes me want a CNC even more. There are so many possibilities for toymaking.
richard pincombe

Reply with quote  #13 
I was meant to of received my liquid rubber yesterday, After 4 emails back and fourth I called the supplier, and following their appalling attitude towards customers, I canceled the order and politely advised them what they can do with their rubber.
I now have to find another supplier. There are numerous suppliers in the USA, but not the UK.
Jodywright

Reply with quote  #14 
that is really very clever !  Do you think I could use styrofoam to surround the wheels?
thanks
JLW
StewRat

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi

I'm very interested in this as a newbie toy maker. A question and an observation.

My love of cars is leading me down that route for toys and I have many of the plans. Once I've made 2 Noah Arks for Christmas I'm all about the Hot Rods!

But wheels are obviously critical.

Question: If I search ebay for "wooden wheels" there are many results. Do you consider them to be inappropriate or uneconomic ? 

Observation. I've done some 3D printing using the online suppliers. Coincidentally, that includes wheels for custom Hot Wheels cars (and a silver pendant for my wife) It occurs to me that 3D printing could produce the buck/plug for this moulding process and allow the creation of for example slot mags, centerline and other wheel types?
Not for the purists for sure, but interesting.

Keen to hear how your experiments progress.

Stewart
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.