Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
G'day everybody.

Here is a handy tip for those of us who like to buy ready made wheels in bulk.

Before I actually use them they are all dipped in a baking tray of Danish Oil and taken out and wiped dry(ish).

To allow the eleventy gazillion (that's a lot) wheels to dry, use a stiff piece of wire (old coat hangers will do) and thread it through the wheels.

wheelrack.jpg 

The rack of wheels, or whatever the collective word is (a round of wheels?) can then be hung up somewhere convenient to dry.

Or in my case, inconveniently hung within an old discarded bread display wire thingy [thumb]

wheelrack2.jpg 

If you want to you could also get more complicated and use a wooden block with a piece of skinny dowel (skinny enough for the diameter of your smallest axle) and thread your wheels onto it.

The other end can be held up with a matching block of wood complete with a notch in it.

wheelrack3.jpg 

I usually get my wheels by the 200's but I also leave some of them unfinished just in case I need a project with them unfinished.

Sometimes I'm just too lazy to be bothered oiling them, too [wink]

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Doc
For the great ideas.
You are going to be a big help to us beginners.

Prologus

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi, I am a skilled woodworker but a newbie to toymaking. I can turn wheels, but spoked wheels take a disproportionate amount of time. Where do you buy your wheels?
Doc

Reply with quote  #4 
Where are you Prologus?

I am in Australia and get mine from a local supplier - I believe he gets them from a little workshop in China or somewhere [wink]

If you are in the US I reckon there are a few suppliers online that have wheels.

If you want I could post a pic of the rear of the spoked wheel and you could see how they are made. Obviously designed for speed of manufacture [thumb]

Reply with quote  #5 
Prologus - Spooked wheels sources.
ToymakingPlans.com in most of their plan sets suggest the suppler at http://www.craftparts.com a US source.
In Canada, I use http://www.Stockade.ca also.
Not knowing where you are, hope this helps.
Stoppsie

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Doc
I too am in Australia ( QLD ) and am struggling to get wheels.
Can you let me know where you purchase from?
Regards Lee
Doc

Reply with quote  #7 
Here's the piccy of the spoked wheel for those clever enough or with the right tools to make their own [wink]
spoked_wheel.jpg 
Lee, I get my wheels from Simon over at Wooden Joys. I reckon he's in Queensland too.
Tell him Doc sent you - he knows me - I buy by the hundreds [thumb]

Edited to actually add the piccy [cool]

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the great tip on painting wheels. That's pretty cool thinkng! I would enjoy seeing some photos and tips on how you produce all the vehicles that these wheels go onto. Can you post photos of the production and explain how you distribute the production to the customers or recipients? You obviously have quite an operation going on here. I am sure that we would all enjoy seeing and hearing more about it. If you have tips on how to sell or donate toys please feel free to post under the "Discuss Marketing and Sales Strategies". We look forward to seeing more about you.
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #9 
i think doc is having a wheely good time thats a cool way of painting wheels.

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the wheel finishing ideas, by the looks of it it sure keep you busy.
Stoppsie

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Doc , I will contact Simon
Prologus

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks everyone. Should have said that I am in Scotland. But thanks Doc for the pics. I can now see how to make the spoked wheels. I can turn the tires (tyres over here!) and add the spokes. Thanks!!
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #13 
Doc, why do you put the wheels through the Danish oil? I am new to toymaking and woodworking in general, just would like to understand the reason for this.
Udie

Reply with quote  #14 
sjc5454 
   Udie here, I have not seen Doc on the Forum lately, I hope he is ok, I have always enjoyed his posts and photos. So, in response to your Danish Oil question let my speak on Doc's behalf.
   Doc's preference is not to paint his toy projects, he prefers the natural wood look as he has expressed in a few of his posts and personal e-mails.
   The Danish Oil exhibits a smooth finish because it is absorbed by the wood. It penetrates into the wood and provides a low/satin sheen with long-term protection and is water resistant.
   It is a popular finish that is food safe for bowls and cutting boards and is child safe when dry.
Hope this helps you better understand why he prefers the Danish Oil.
As a side note:
Many of our toy maker members use Cynthia's Non-Toxic Child Safe Bee's Wax paste. My container seems to be getting smaller because my wife likes to use it as a hand moisturizer also. Click on the photo below to a video where Cynthia demonstrates how to make your own batch of the wonderful top coat paste.
Bee Wax Paste.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.