Author   Comment  
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, i started this new topic as other people might find it helpfull this is what i have found over the years i have found all sorts of timber over the years raiding skips and other places.please remember to ask before taking anything  and don't make a mess and put back what you don't want also if you ask the people will get to know you and might over time keep bits to one side for you.

1 Timber yards lots have off cut bins and old bits of ply that were used for packing

2 Joinery workshops lots have odd bits of timber left from jobs that end up in the bin that can be got for free

3 Skips people who are having building work done /new wood floors put down lot of the time they end up in the skip 

4 Window company's those that come and take out your old window lots have softwood /hardwood window sill that just get taking back to the yard and a lot get burnt up

5 Blind manufacturers the one that make the wood blinds lots of them have wood slats left from jobs nice thine stock

Hope this is helpfull feel free to add your own to this topic all the best gary

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Gary -
good tips.  I recently dropped by a house renovation site in the neighborhood so I could get the 2x4 cutoffs that were going in the trash.  I will go and visit any cabinet shops in the area per your tips. 
Cindy
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
   Here is a topic that has been touched on before I am not to sure that it was on Toymaker but if so I will touch on it now just for a review. I think it was Kenny Martin who brought this to light and it has to do with Pallets and both he and I were truck drivers and I know that there are a bunch of others out there that are also truck drivers so this is a subject that is real and near and dear to us.
   That subject is the reuse of pallets that are available and many of us have picked up these pallets for free and used them for stacking wood on and many other uses such as building sheds and other projects around the yard. 
   The reason I pass this WARNING along is what we are building is TOYS for kids and I for one can say that their health is my first concern. I know that we worry about the finishes that we use for the toxicity but we never give much of a thought to the wood, well here starts the problem because as a truck driver I can say that a pallet spends it's life in and out of different wear houses being stacked with god only knows what and in the end we end up with pallets that may have anything and everything on them, so I ask that you who are making things for the little ones use only first run wood that way you can pass on your toys knowing that the woods and the finishes are good for the kids.
   For those of us that are or were drivers this is something that we face every day and as a Hazard we have learned to except it with a blind eye but the little one are for ever putting things in their mouths and handling them and they don't need the chemicals of old pallet wood.
A Concerned Wooden Toys Maker
Don
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #4 
hi don
         i only use pallet for home decor use were they want a rustic look to the item i have not used it and will not use it  for toys for the same problems you have said were i work i have seen some of them not good . the wood i get from skips and the like the new bits that are just offcuts i use them for toys and even a lot of the used timber you can put into the planer and get rid of the the top muck but most of what i find is new just the bits they did not want. on a side note if you did want to make some garden planters pallet wood is the way to go i have a few in our back garden and they hold up well to the outdoors.

Reply with quote  #5 
   I hear what it is that you are saying but with the price of lumber going up and our income staying the same I felt that in some cases the warning was to be made so that the little people do not get sick. Pallet wood is cheap and easy to find but the chemicals that they stack on to these pallets are not listed when they get rid of the cast offs. So it is just a word to the wise and good luck in all that you are doing Gary.
Just another Saw Dust Maker
Don
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Gary for the five excellent posts on how to find free wood. I will be using this list to round up some extra supplies. This is a very helpful and thought-out post.

Don makes an important point concerning pallet wood and I am relieved that he emphasized the dangers when considering pallet wood for toys. I feel it is best to be on the safe side and avoid it when making toys. The end-grain of any wood is open to absorbing moisture and chemicals that can permeate the entire length and depth. For this reason I have never used pallet wood for toys. It is not worth the risk to me. 
John
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #7 
hi don/ john there all good points you have made maybe on the 1st post i sould have said about not to use pallet wood i will say again that i have never used pallet wood for toys and never will. but i do use new offcuts of pine for toys as don say's the cost of new timber is a lot even if is just softwood pine and for me it do's save some money using offcuts of wood. i have also found some times on new timber that the ends have muck on them and not always at the ends were they have been stored the plywood from packing boxes is good for templates.

Reply with quote  #8 
   I find as many of the wood workers out here do that I collect a lot of wood from many different placeslike I have a friend that was cleaning out his shop and brought me a pickup full of Red and White Oak I look at it day in and day out and I find my self becoming a real hoarder. I have used some of the pine for a few projects and a few of the Oak boards but I am still waiting for the one project that tickles my fancy to use the good wood .... I think that I have found it and that is the Big Rig Wrecker Truck and how I know this is that the Model also is of interest to my grand son. I bring this to light because about 6 years ago I bought two red oak boards they were 12" wide by 12' long and 1" thick I used one for a Hoosier cabinet that I rebuild for the wife and well the second board is still in the hall way going to the second story of our house and not in the shop where it may be used .... I am wondering if there is any way to rid myself of this this hording .... The problem I have is that the Board was a bit on the pricey side like 65 or 70 dollars US a board. Oh well I love the smell of the shop and the stair way in the house is of much of the same Oak!
Don
   I will post what I use the Oak Pallets for in the near future .... I stack Fire Wood on then it is a good way to keep the fire wood off the wet ground.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.