Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all

Made a Winnebago on the weekend.
Made out of Pine mostly, with Merbau for the front and back grills and Spotted gum for the side trims.
9 Year old wanted a window in the back, so added that in there. I also dowelled the hinge for the door. Couldn't find any old Jeans to cut up for the hinge.
Also added a dowel in each side of the front top piece, just to add strength.
Haven't made the furniture as yet, 9yr old wanted to get playing.

Enjoy

W1.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg W4.jpg W5.jpg W6.jpg W7.jpg 

Cheers
Rod T

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice! I like the back window, customized.

Russ
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice.  Looks great, love the wood choices and the back window. 
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Rod T for your participation on the forum. Your work is a wonderful addition to all of the other fine posts. Your workmanship on the Winnebago is extremely tight and clean. Wow!
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
Very nicely done. The cool thing is even though you don't have any furniture yet, I'm sure the nine yr old will have it filled with all sorts of fun things to haul around LOL

Thanks for sharing[thumb]

Reply with quote  #6 
A good looking and well made Winnebago. Look forward to all the furniture

Reply with quote  #7 
Rod T

Another nice build, not only are you a good builder, but fast as well.
I like what you did here.
Thanks for sharing.

I will bet your 9 year old is enjoying the Motor Home.

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #8 
What a nicely done Winnebago! I'm working on mine now. It will be awhile I leaving town for two weeks.

I bet the 9 year old is having a great time with it.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Udie

Reply with quote  #9 
Rod T
I have been looking at your photos for a while, great build and nice clean lines.
Your option of dowel hinging the doors looks perfect.
Wood selection really is perfect also.
In the photos it's hard to tell if you applied any finish - did you?
Rod T

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

Udie, I used the last of my Orange Oil furniture polish on this one. Same finish that I have used on the others that I have posted. It just wipes on with a rag and then wipe off the excess. Leaves the timber quite natural and only slightly darker than untreated. It is sold as a furniture polish, but the manufacturer advises that it can be used as a finish on raw timber as well.
Luckily our annual timber and woodworking show is on in about 3-4 weeks. I can get some more. Along with more scroll saw blades.

I found another use for the Orange Oil. Citrus is apparently a natural insect repellant, so I soaked a couple of off cuts of timber in the oil overnight and then placed them on some window sills where ants have been coming into the kitchen. Have been trying everything to get rid of these damn ants, with no luck. Well the Orange Oil did the trick. No more ants.

The dowelled hinge works ok, but the door can only open up to about 90 degrees, had to fiddle a bit with sanding the edges to allow it to swing open. I also put a dowel in each corner of the front top piece, just to give it a bit more strength. I have run out of the 4mm dowel that I use and went to get more, only to find out it is no longer available. smallest is 6mm. might have to do a bit of hunting around for this.

The Winnebago was also the first time that I used Superglue on my toys. I used it to glue all the dark strips and bits on the sides. Works extremely well. 

Cheers
Rod T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.