Author   Comment  
mrbobisto

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all

I just purchased the Quick n' Easy Heirloom Rocking Horse plans, I noticed in the plans everything is 3/4" thick or 1-1/2" inch thick. I'm curious what people have used for lumber on this? I prefer the wood look over the painted look, so I'm thinking MDF is out. I was looking at laminated pine shelving we have, which means I would need to glue up 2 pieces of 3/4" material to make parts 3,5,6,7. Looking for some advice [smile]

Also if anyone has made one of these before and advice? I'm guessing once we glue up the parts we need to finish sand so that they match up properly [smile] any tips on that?

Thanks Mrbobisto
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi mrbobisto,

You ask a great question!

The body core for the Heirloom Rocking Horse can be made from 3/4" x 2' x 4' panels of premium plywood found at Home Depot and Lowe's if you live in the USA. If you don't know where to find premium plywood in the stores, go to the customer service desk. They can help you find the panels in the store. The rocker rails, the legs and the cross members are made from common 2" x 8" white wood framing lumber. We've found the 2' x 4' premium plywood makes a beautiful toy and the panels are inexpensive and easy to use. 

You can use a scroll saw or a saber saw and a hand drill to build the rocking horse. When you glue the parts together spread a thin layer of glue on both surfaces that will be glued together. You can scrim the glue on the parts using a wide blade putty knife. When you press the two surfaces to be glued together slide them around slightly to get good adhesion. Clamp the two pieces leaving the clamps on until the glue is dry. Wipe off any glue that seeps out between the parts while the glue is still wet. If you plan on painting the rocking horse you'll want to mask the wood surfaces that will be receiving glue. You won't get a good strong joint if you glue painted surfaces together.

If you cut out the parts closely you shouldn't have to sand much. For example, cut out one leg and then use that leg as a template for cutting out the second leg. In the areas where you'll want to sand we recommend a drum sander attached to a drill press.

We'd love to see photos of your Rocking Horse posted on the forum! We'd love to see both your build photos and final photos plus any tips or questions you may have. 

[Heirloom-Rocking-Horse-Sm]

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
mrbobisto - Great reply Cynthia. Using 2x lumber is a great solution and the only concern is which type of 2x lumber you purchase. Common framing lumber which could be spruce/pine/fir, may exhibit knots and pitch pockets and as you pay more for clear pine these problems are not existent. Plywood is a great solution also. The only thing to watch out for is, is the plywood actually 3/4" or is it 19mm which is a little less in thickness. A concern when cabinet making but not for this project.
You mentioned using laminated shelving lumber, check to see if this lumber is a true 3/4" or 19mm. It is great lumber to use and the laminated pieces are very strong joints. If using 19mm lumber, your only concerns will be where dowel holes are required in mounting the legs to the rocking bottom braces.
As a side note take a look a Forum post titled "Wood Sizes around the Globe" which discusses lumber widths.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.