Author   Comment  
Somerset_Craig

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, First time on the forum and fairly new to making wooden toys. I have read and heard lots of people discussing project panels available at Home Depot in the states are best to use, but can anybody suggest suitable materials to use here in the uk and a good supplier for the base material of wooden toys? Thanks Craig
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Craig and welcome to the forum. Let us first expand on the Handy Panels. These are pre-cut panels which are available in 2'x2', 2'x4' and 4'x'4' easy to transport home. Available in the most common sizes of 2-sides finished plywood, MDF and hardboard. Easily available here in CANADA and the USA at most of our big box home improvement stores. I am not familiar with what is available in the UK and what type of home improvement big box stores you have there. I would like to also post a request to the forum community for assistance. Craig is a newbie to toy making and needs some help sourcing stock.
OK UK members, who has some suggestions for Craig?
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #3 
craig you can get pine panels in the uk at wicks home base b&q the pine panels are made from strips of pine that are glued up ready to be used you can also get 6x4 sheets of mdf/pywood on the plywood i would use birch or marine ply as it don't have the holes that you find on some of the cheaper plywoods fpr pine wood the same diy stores on go to a timber yard ie falham timber or one like that hope this helps feel free to ask again if you need some more help.

Reply with quote  #4 
hi craig i just replied to your email got put in the junk folder not sure why sorry about that.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Craig
You have one of the finest timber yards in the UK that is Yandels in Martock nr Yeovil they have a show in April where you can see various machines being demonstrated including the scroll saw demonstrated by myself  on the Hegner stand you can browse through their  stock of timber some discounted for the show
southern yellow pine is great or tulip wood, lime etc. entry and parking are free 
osman123

Reply with quote  #6 
Also if in the area, check out Taunton Timber supplies, thet usually have a great assortment of hardwood offcuts and boards at really great prices. See thier website.

Reply with quote  #7 
I use a lot of pine for my toymaking , mdf is ok in some cases ,but it has its limitations .  If you are new to toy making , pine is cheap , so if you make a mess trying to do a job it can be recycled into other things like smaller toys ,firewood etc . If you do decide to use pine make sure it is fine grained ,because some of the course grain cannot be sanded flat enough and it will show through the paint . This however can be beneficial if you want a special effect . Douglas
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
Craig a big WELCOME from me in Hartpury UK I use JEWSONS for my birch ply and anything I find in skips and from friends throwing out old desks cupboards etc doesn't have to be brand new it surprising what the thicknesser planer can produce from rubbish. lol

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
KJL1951

I have also used a filler for the end grain.  I have used an auto body filler you can buy at most auto parts stores.  The product is red and goes on easy and drys quickly, and is easy to sand.  It paints well.
Because it is red it must be used on a toy you are going to paint.
The cost is not bad either, as it goes a long way.

Ceefa

Reply with quote  #10 
I agree with you Ken about the NZ pine being overpriced. I went into Mitre10 the other day to get some 2x4 dressed pine and they were charging $47.30 for a 2.4metre length.I was gobsmacked, needless to say I didn't buy any. I'm going round to the joinery shops looking for offcuts.
Douglas

Reply with quote  #11 
You can get any wood flat if you sand it enough ,so if you do use course grain pine ,then you need to oversize the project to compensate for the BIG sanding job . With fine grain pine it is an easy sanding job . Your New Zealand pine must be much better quality than English pine . Maybe that is why yours is expensive and ours is cheap . I have got a piece at the moment which is very course and open grained . I don't think I will use it for model making . Douglas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.