You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment  
puzzler

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Folks
I have not bought wood dowel for some time i was about to
start a project so of to the DIY store. returned home to find
the dowel was too thick for the same drill sized hole. Is this the
norm for dowel's now adays
Regards Puzzler
KenG

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi puzzler, I have the same problem. I either put the dowel in the drill and sand it down or I use a slightly larger drill bit and drill out the the hole again. For instance, if the plan calls for a 3/8" (.375") hole and the dowel you have is too large, then try a 'W' size drill bit (.386") in a scrap piece of wood. These bits are called letter size bits and can be purchased at Amazon or if you live near a Woodcraft or Rockler store, you can get them there. There is a whole range of these from A to Z. KenG
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
puzzler
Yep, been there, done that and also experienced buying a hand full of dowels, thinking they were the same size only to find out the bin was a mix match of sizes.
Some suppliers colour code the dowel ends, other just stick on bar codes.
You got to wonder about the level of quality control that is practiced when making dowels at the manufacturer's level.
On many pieces you can see the ridge lines of the cutters they use, and as KenG has pointed out most of the time sanding is required before use.
This problem is quite visible with smaller diameters and the larger diameter are more round, but again not exactly to size they should be.
It can be frustrating ... welcome to the club.
Take a look at Doc's post dated Sept 3/2103 under How-t-Do's Tips & Tricks under the topic title Wood Sizes around the Globe - The imperial verses metric dilemma. He address the same frustrations and identifies what he has found.
Udie
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #4 
I would say that the best thing to do is carry with you into the store where you do business a set of calipers and measure the dowels with the caliper. - Don
Doc

Reply with quote  #5 
Wouldn't be the first time I've walked into a supplier with a few wheels in my pocket to make sure the dowel fits [cool]
They used to think I might be a bit weird.
Now they know for sure [wink]
Still, I'm paying for it, may as well get the size I want, hey.

Reply with quote  #6 
All sales Final kind of makes one be sure that you have the right size the first time around on matter what carry a set of calipers ... a fit that is right the first time.
Not weird but a CUT above!! - Don
puzzler

Reply with quote  #7 
thank you all for the info I had not thought of taking a wheel
with me but will in future
Regards Puzzler
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
I find a bit of sandpaper and a bit of candle wax does the job or use .5 size bigger drill and plenty of glue. lol

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Frankg

Reply with quote  #9 
I found the opposite to be true. The dowel was slightly smaller than the hole. (Not by very much, but it was not snug at all. My experience has been that I need to hammer in a dowel for good fit.) I went to the local hardware store and bought them. So I figured they were just poor quality. Then I ordered them on line at Craftparts and found the same problem. Is the problem really my 1/2" Forstner bit??

Reply with quote  #10 
One way to be sure of the right fit is to use a pair of Calipers these will compare with the drill and the dowel so that the fit is more exact. Also if the hole is smaller or bigger by just a bit more than you need or want sometimes using the Numbered or the Lettered Set of drill bits can make the difference that a fractional bit can not do for you. If you have a digital Caliper that will make sure that the hole and the dowel are right on. Also sometimes the Dowels are a small bit out of round so they may be out on one side and exact on another. Well I hope this is of some help. - Don
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #11 
hi all i think we have all been there got the t shirt. i have  bought dowel that is ment to be 6mm and has not been i have also got 1/4 and that seems to be more like 6mm i think as well if you buy wheels the hole in them is not always what it is ment to be i now take a wheel with me and try it before i but do get some strange looks some times but hay all good fun.gary
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us