Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
dls

Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for the post.  Most of my "getting started" problems are because of the imperial/metric headache.  I can not even find inch graph paper here in Israel to enlarge drawings from books or magazines.

I solved the above problem by getting a friend of mine to create a large graph of 1 inch and half inch squares using Autocad.  He created it on a file for A1 paper.  It was a simple problem to go to a printers for architect drawings and have them print me out 20 copies.

Reply with quote  #17 
dls: I truly understand your frustration with the metric/imperial problems. Enlarging printed plans is easily done by your local photo copy centre, and you can even reduce the size also. On the other side of the coin, you can easily enlarge and reduce your PDF plans on screen and print enlarged/reduced copies also. These options are all available in the printer properties screen when you say print. Best of all you can take accurate measurements right off the computer screen. Take a look at the June 25, 2013 Wood Toy News (WTN). I have attached a link here for you which discusses and demonstrates this wonderful capability. http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/News/06-25-13_Wood-Toy-News.pdf
Udie
Doc

Reply with quote  #18 
For people who can't get to or don't have easy access to a copy shop (I live in the middle of nowhere) there are a few ways to resize your plans to make them bigger or smaller.

You can use an online facility such as Block Posters which allows you to load a piccy and print it out over however many pages it needs.

You can also use a program such as Big Print - the free version has 'evaluation' printed but since it's for a pattern it shouldn't make any difference. I use the full version.

There are many other freebies around to help do this.

I have a great time taking plans designed for small stuff and making them bigger since I have arthritic thumb joints so it is easier (and looks more impressive!) having larger stuff to sell.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Doc

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #19 
For our international customers we've found an online conversion tool that's helpful for converting English to Metric. What's unique about this tool it allows you to enter fractions without first converting the English measurement to a decimal and then converting it to Metric.

Check it out: Imperial to Metric Conversion Tool

Our toymakingplans.com toy plans are designed to use millimeter materials with no adjustments required.

1/16” can use 3 millimeters thick wood
1/4”can use 6 millimeters thick wood
1/2” can use 12 millimeters thick wood 
3/4” can use 18 millimeters thick wood
1” can use 24 millimeters thick wood

All of the plans dimensions can vary + or – 1/16” or 3 millimeters without affecting the assembly.
Doc

Reply with quote  #20 
I must admit, Cynthia, one of the things I really enjoy about the plans on here, I find they are quite easy to work with in terms of the leeway the sizes allow.

That sort of flexibility without interfering with the overall accuracy is one of the reasons I like to play around with resizing for a bigger (or smaller) project.

Regards

Doc

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.