Author   Comment  
Sdbrown5736

Reply with quote  #1 
I have visited my local big hardware stores and hobby lobby. I cannot find a by wood that’s 5/16”, 5/8” or 9/16”. Is anybody able to locate these or does everyone use a planet? I’m new to this hobby and would appreciate feedback. Thanks
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Sdbrown5736,

I'm so sorry I missed your question! What toy plan are you working on? That would help me to understand your question better. I'm wondering if the thicknesses you're referring to are for parts that are cut from a scroll saw from a larger block of wood. 

Our plans typically call for standard thicknesses of wood that you can buy at Home Depot and Lowes in a variety of thicknesses and are referred to as solid core premium plywood. They are often called "premium project panels" in the stores. They come is a variety of thicknesses such as 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" etc. If you don't know where to find premium project panels when in the store, go to the customer service desk. They can help you find the panels in the store since they sometimes are hard to spot when walking the aisles. 

Cynthia
Sdbrown5736

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your help! I just started on the 1932 hot rod jamboree and didn’t understand the prints. If I need to cut the piece to size from another wood thickness that makes more sense. I will search for that type of plywood also than you!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
The hardwoods available at my local Home Depot are in 1/8 inch increments. I've never seen a 9/16 inch panel or solid wood.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Szabie

Reply with quote  #5 
Personally i like to use recycled timber usually old pallets and also keep my eyes out for second hand stair treads ...you can be very surprised what you will find ....i have a thicknesser attached to my table saw ..so i actually find more enjoyment of creating every piece ..although a fairly simple toy can take a lot longer to build its the fact you have created every piece...ps i have had a stroke so do it all with one hand and its not that hard once you know your machine and this is only what i do so just a suggestion...cheers
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Szabie, these are great ideas and I never considered stair treads. Thanks for the tip! We have lumber salvage yard about ten miles from here. I am definately going to check it out.
1948CaseVAI

Reply with quote  #7 
If you are near a Menards they have a stellar selection of poplar and oak as thin as 1/4 inch.  Much better, at least near me, than either Lowes or Home Depot.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.