Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
woodencarguy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there

New here and have been enjoying browsing through many lovely wooden toys and projects.   
My hobby is making racing cars, boats and even a steam locomotive from scratch ... every part is hand made  by me.   Most recently I've been using a variety of exotic woods I've been able to source for my cars and, since they're not exactly a toy (but not detailed enough to be considered a true model) I thought I'd come over to the "Any Woodworking Project" forum.

I make my cars from plans found on the web and scale them to the size I want.    Next they're printed and glued to the wood before bandsawing the rough shape.   Shaping now takes place using Dremels, files and whatever suits the need ... everything up to an angle grinder!

I make my own wire wheels to my own design on a hobbyist's metal lathe.   

Most cars are finished using shellac (if it's a wood that nothing else will stick to) then clear lacquer on top.

Here are a couple of Ferraris ... I tend to make cars from my youth back in the 50's ... jeez, he's old!!

This is carved/shaped from mahogany with a padauk "stripe".

DSCN0246-01.jpg 
DSCN0248-01.jpg 
Here's a '54 Ferrari done in padauk with a black ebony "stripe" and windscreen.

DSCN1165.jpg 
DSCN1169.jpg 
Hope you like them

Frank

eburk

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice work. I really like the exotic woods you have used in these 2 examples. Welcome to the group, I think you will fit in very well witht the craftsmen and women in this group.

Reply with quote  #3 
First class work - love the timbers and finish!!
Your patience is rewarded!!

Tony
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Magnificent workmanship! Thanks for sharing.
woodencarguy

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks guys for the compliments.   Glad you appreciate my efforts!

I imagine my process is very similar to what many of you do with patterns ... print/glue/bandsaw/shape.

Here's a few pictures of my process on a different car.   This one was made from some planks of nice mahogany I salvaged from an old power boat that was being chainsawed up and burned at our marina!!

20180114_144802.jpg  Sawed out and glued up.

00050.jpg 
Shaped with plane/orbital sander/files/Dremel with sanding drum etc etc.

Starts to look right ...

00130.jpg 
Add a few extra details, varnish and soon  ...

375+.jpg 
20170811_125748-01.jpeg

Cheers

Frank

Wombat

Reply with quote  #6 
Frank, I really love your work.
As an old engineer, there is no art in me, so I appreciate your skill in selectively removing all that extraneous wood to reveal the treasure within. Sadly I am more of an "additive" constructor than a sculpter.
The real metal embellishments are a master's touch, and I envision there were many many coats of shellac and varnish applied.
Like you, I find the shapes of the 50's far more evocative than those of todays racers.

Wombat
woodencarguy

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
Frank, I really love your work.
As an old engineer, there is no art in me, so I appreciate your skill in selectively removing all that extraneous wood to reveal the treasure within. Sadly I am more of an "additive" constructor than a sculpter.
The real metal embellishments are a master's touch, and I envision there were many many coats of shellac and varnish applied.
Like you, I find the shapes of the 50's far more evocative than those of todays racers.

Wombat

Thanks Wombat.   I appreciate your interest.   As my (ahem) "skills" have improved I'm really enjoying working with both woods and metals ... aluminium and occasionally steel, both of which are salvaged from old computers, cameras, printers and whatever else comes along.

More recently I've finished a pair of totally scratch-built 1950's grand prix cars, a Maserati 250F and a Lancia D50, which, being open-wheeled, required a lot of metalwork to fabricate brake drums, suspension etc.   The bodies were carved from a synthetic "wood" called Renshape so I don't want to get off topic on this forum.

Cheers

Frank

Wombat

Reply with quote  #8 
Frank
Many Thanks for the embedded links to the other forum so I could enjoy the rest of your works, and those of your peers.
Perhaps I should dust off the Dremel tool kit I bought (without a use in mind, but it was "on special") and have a go at a sculpted car of my own.

Alan
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #9 
Excellent work high finish as well. [thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #10 
Holy Cow that is really great work . Well Done. Do you have to clean the exotic wood with something so the glue will adhere.
woodencarguy

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith89
Holy Cow that is really great work . Well Done. Do you have to clean the exotic wood with something so the glue will adhere.

Thanks GSmith.   Surprisingly no ... I don't have any problem with the glue adhering.   
I use CA (superglue) on all exotic wood (padauk, ebony, rosewood etc) and never have a problem.    Finishing is a different story however.    I pretty much always wash the wood down with acetone or lacquer thinners then build up coats of shellac.   After the shellac dries I can apply lacquer or varnishes to it.

Frank

Peter V

Reply with quote  #12 

Frank,

awesome builds and very inspiring.

I wonder how you made those spoked wheels (and the rubber tires).
Are you willing to share pictures tutorial? 

Reply with quote  #13 
Hello Peter

Thank you for your interest in my models and the wire wheels.   I have no problem discussing my process and would be glad to share my technique.    I'm thinking it might not be appreciated getting into such detail on this forum about a non-wood topic and wonder if you might prefer to have a private conversation by email about them?

In the meantime I have shown this process on a couple of my build logs on another site.   I'll give you the links and maybe you can learn what you want to know there.   I'll be happy to answer any questions you still have if you email me at frank.smart AT sympatico.ca.

By the way, my tires are not rubber but are machined from a material called Renshape.   My process is also shown in the build logs.

Lancia D50 build log

Maserati 250F build log

Cheers 

Frank
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Frank. I am the owner of toymakingplans.com and you are welcome to post here under "all other". we all look forward to learning from you!
woodencarguy

Reply with quote  #15 
OK thanks John.   I'll put something together for your members.    Probably after the holidays.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.