Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
These turned out way better (three more waiting in the wings) than I thought they would. I had to sand and respray the top coat many times before I finally gave it up and said that's enough. Rust-Oleum, Triple Thick Glaze is tough to apply smoothly. Maybe its technique (operator error) but I've been to school for auto painting and did it for a living for awhile so I do have a bit of experience and know how. It should not have been this hard.

Again the color coat is Behr Oops paint from Home Depot applied with an airbrush. I sure hope they have some paint near this color because I think I might want to use this again.

The exhaust pipes and hubs are acrylic craft paint top coated with clear shellac. This combination works good for me but I sure do wish I could get the shellac in a satin finish.

The wheels a store bought from Craft Parts and finished with amber shellac. I spin these with a drill and put as much shellac on them as I can get.

20170522-190053 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 01.jpg 20170522-190053 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 01

20170522-190114 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 02.jpg 20170522-190114 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 02

20170522-190140 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 03.jpg
20170522-190140 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 03

20170522-190206 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 04.jpg 20170522-190206 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 04

20170522-190228 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 05.jpg 20170522-190228 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 05

20170522-190250 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 06.jpg
20170522-190250 Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - 27 T Coupe - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 06

20170306_180418 Paint, Rust-Oleum, Triple Thick Glaze, Toys, Garage Shop.jpg 
20170306_180418 Paint, Rust-Oleum, Triple Thick Glaze, Toys, Garage Shop

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #2 
I like this Bob it looks good I also like that color. It looks like you have lots of things in the wings just not enough  time to do it like me. I hope to retire at the end of the year then I can spend more time on my hobby.

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, I have lots of things in the queue. There never seems to be enough time. I'm 65 and still working full time and I have a three year old toddler living with me. Yard work to do and a garden to tend and on and on and on. Never enough time. 

Oh and I forgot about trying to get an Etsy store profitable. I only have one grand child and I've been told that he can't have all the toys I make so I got to sell some.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
These are beautifully finished wood toys. Thanks for all the suggestions and materials lists that you provide. We all learn a lot from you about finishing.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm just struggling through this whole toy painting thing. I never painted toys before I joined this forum. My grandson convinced me that I should do it. I sat in font my computer with him and showed him photos where there were painted and clear finished toys some times bare wood. 99% of the time he picked the painted toys. Never once the bare wood although he has some bare wood toys that he plays with. He is my test lab and advisor.

I think we would all be better off sharing what we do. There are other forums I'm a member of that I participate a little in but I don't know enough about most of the topics to even comment. On this subject I may not be an expert but I do know a lot about it and I'm willing to experiment to learn more. At one time in the past I worked in an auto body shop as a painter.

The more we share the info the better off we all are.  

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Another great paint job Bob.

Great Colour.

I agree with you, we are all better off sharing what we do.
I have picked up so many tips and hints on this forum I see it only fare that I share any insights that I come across. 

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.