Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
Pretty much the same but has a round window and blue hubs.

20180425-180916 - Wooden Toy Truck - Play Pal - Monster Truck - Lamina.jpg 

Wooden Toy Truck - Play Pal - Monster Truck - Laminated Oak and Poplar - Amber Shellac Wheels - Metalic Blue Hubs - Polyurethane - 496711514

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Donald

Reply with quote  #2 
I made one of these by mistake and  thought I did it wrong. Found out I was not not wrong a all. (lol)

Reply with quote  #3 
What do you price your toys at .
Don

Reply with quote  #4 
Very, very nice truck, I love the colours complimenting the high gloss wood....
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald
What do you price your toys at.
Don

Hardwood Play Pal Monster Trucks are $35 unless I think they are defective in some way.  Hot Rod Freaky Fords are $35. I have some lower priced items, but my goal is to have nothing under $25. Most of the lower priced items are things I was experimenting with and just put them up there to see if someone would buy them.

I eventually want the get to the point where I don't have any low-end items in the store. However, the number of things you have in your store affects your search rankings. Until I can ramp up production, the lower priced toys are going to stay. People do buy them from time to time.

One of the reasons you do not want to have very low priced toys is the ratio between the shipping cost and the price of the item. Would you pay six dollars to ship a four dollar toy.

My second reason for not having very low priced toys is that I don't want to make them. A toy maker once told me he could make 50 Play Pals in a day. I could not make 50 in a week. The fit and finish on our toys are entirely different, and so is the target market. He is selling rough, unfinished toys for a few dollars each at craft shows. My target market is the buyer that wants something a little better. I throw away toys that are better quality than some of the ones I see for sale. 

The one thing I never want to happen is for me to make toys I don't enjoy making so that I can sell them.  I want to make toys that make me proud.

It is a slow process that seems to be working. I sold more in the first few weeks of this year than all of last year in the after Christmas dead zone.

Pricing is a difficult puzzle you have to work out for yourself.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Trav

Reply with quote  #6 
I appreciate info like that bad bob. I’ve never tried selling but am considering building up an inventory to give it a try. It’s useful to hear folks talking about their experiences and their thoughts on quality and pricing.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
I appreciate info like that bad bob. I’ve never tried selling but am considering building up an inventory to give it a try. It’s useful to hear folks talking about their experiences and their thoughts on quality and pricing.

Watch these videos to get an idea of what is involved in a craft show.

Craft Show Secrets Part 1
Craft Show Secrets Part 2
Craft Show Secrets Part 3

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Donald

Reply with quote  #8 
I am getting ready to put my work in a Coop and I am putting prices where it shows value  in my work. My planes are 37.59 (painted) 45 to 50 Stained Hard wood. oak, Maple, Cherry. I also make trivets, Games in which I like to show various skills and things a sight impaired person can do.

I am gong t start on May 19th and I will keep you abreast of what happen.  

I sure this will be a success.

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Donald. I'll watch for that. I'd like to see a picture of your setup as well if thats possible.
Donald

Reply with quote  #10 
IMG_0039.jpg 

Reply with quote  #11 
I just put these in the mercantile and the picture will be on their Facebook page tomorrow. Everything you see I have made by myself while being sight impaired.
They're not perfect but close to it.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
Donald, 

This is a fine display of workmanship. I love what I am seeing here. The selection is great and your choice of wood tones and colors is really fun.
Trav

Reply with quote  #13 
Donald, you should start a new topic and get some close up pictures up. That tank looks neat. I’d like to see a few close up pics of it especially.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.