Author   Comment  
jbowie

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I'm getting into the home stretch of my build but once again need some advice. When cutting my body pieces, I left off the wood tail from the middle 3/4" lamination piece of the horse with the hopes of using a yarn tail. The middle piece just follows the same contours as the outside pieces on the back/butt section. Has anyone done this before? I could use some pointers! I was thinking about drilling a 3/4 or 1" hole, maybe 2" deep in the backside of the laminated body so that the hole faces a slightly upward angle. I would then make a a bundle of yarn tightly wrapped into a sort of plug (for lack of a better word) on the hole side. Next I would put some glue in the hole and put the tail in . Maybe finish it off by tapping a glued dowel into the middle of the yarn.

Again, I could really use some suggestions on how to make a good looking, durable yarn tail. If anyone has done this, I would love to hear from you on what worked and what didn't.

Thanks!

James Bowie
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #2 
From the way you have described what you are going to do it sounds good to me and the way I would do it see below

Gather all the tail yarns into a round bundle and applying fabric glue as you go before it has time to set put glue on the outside and wrap very tight with some strong cord or string. This only needs to be about 1" - 1 1/2" at the end then glue this into a hole that is just the right size for the tail

Reply with quote  #3 
You could try making a wooden plug with a hole in it. Thread the yarn through and knot it so it wouldn't come out. Apply glue and tap it into corresponding hole in horse. (Never done this myself, and there may be too much yarn for it to work, but it's another idea to think on)

Reply with quote  #4 
I built my rocking horse over thirty years ago. I did the tail same way and the mane by grooving a 3/8 groove and gluing a 1/8 in down int the groove with the mane. Work for thirty years as you can see. Good luck.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 43, Size: 945.80 KB 

jbowie

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks to you all! I will let you know what I end up doing and how it goes. Whichever way I do it, it will be happening today. Santa needs to have it under the tree tomorrow morning!

-- James
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
This is a howto video for a breeding mop but I think you can get some good ideas from it on how to make a yarn tail.

jbowie

Reply with quote  #7 
Ended up going with pretty much my original plan using the suggestion to drill the hole to accommodate  tail bundle and not try to fit the bundle into a predetermined size hole. Very happy with the look, we'll see how it hold up over time. Merry X-mas!

-- James

yarn tail.jpg 

ctowne

Reply with quote  #8 
Looks good!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.