Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
This one gave me fits with the photos. I'm not sure why other than it is probably a lighting issue. I coul not get the color right. After several tries I finally gave up and just kept the best.

It's hard to tell from the photo but this is made from a pine 2x4. I'm wondering how many variations of this could I make if I kept making them from random pieces of wood and added a tweak hear and there. Make one fro the same board but use a diffrent finish and you get a new look.

20170104-181507 - Monster Truck - Wooden Toy Truck - Toy Truck - Wooden Truck - Play Pal - Pickup - Handmade - Handcrafted - Wood Truck - Wood Toy.jpg 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181415_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 298.83 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181443_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 397.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181544_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 356.34 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181614_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 347.56 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181640_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 379.72 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181708_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 356.52 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181731_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 25, Size: 349.27 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20170104-181755_-_Monster_Truck_-_Wooden_Toy_Truck_-_To...ck_-_Wood_Toy.jpg, Views: 26, Size: 341.61 KB 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #2 
What are you using as a washer between the wheel and the body of the truck?  Is it just a wooden spacer?  Very cool...I'm going to have to try the shellac finish soon.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshanks
What are you using as a washer between the wheel and the body of the truck?  Is it just a wooden spacer?  Very cool...I'm going to have to try the shellac finish soon.

Nylon washers I buy from China via eBay. I use three sizes M4, M5, and M6. They cost around $10 US per 1000. You can get smaller amounts. A thousand at a big box store will set you back around eighty dollars.

Shellac has many advantages not the least of which is that inhaling the vapors does not cause brain damage. You can spray, brush, wipe or dip it they all work. It cures really fast and works under conditions that some finishes will not work at all. You can repair the finish.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Your workmanship and finish is off the charts. You make a common 2 x 4 toy look like it is made from top grade lumber.
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #5 

BadBob - another great toy [smile] A question about the nylon washers...Does the body of the car hide the whole washer, or is part of it exposed underneath?  In the last pic it looks like they stick out slightly (hope that makes sense)

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiejane

BadBob - another great toy [smile] A question about the nylon washers...Does the body of the car hide the whole washer, or is part of it exposed underneath?  In the last pic it looks like they stick out slightly (hope that makes sense)

Depends on how close your axles are to the edge. In this case the washers are nearly flush with the edge. It would be easy to compensate if having them show a little is a problem. I've never had to do this.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.